New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > lager time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2005, 12:58 PM   #11
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 30

How about using a wort chiller as an heat exchanger?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2005, 02:52 PM   #12
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

You can lager outside if the daily average temperature is in the correct range by heavily insulating the carboy. Such as wrapping the carboy in layers of old blankets or cardboard. A large cardboard box full of shredded newspaper would also work.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-20-2005, 02:58 PM   #13
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

the best bet is to use the water tub/ice trick. other than that, you'll need a fridge/chest freezer with an external thermostat to manipulate the temp. you can do a Kolsch brew, but it will really benefit from a lower ferm temp (upper 50's-60's) and a 4-6 week cold conditioning. but, you can still do it at regular ale temps.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 11-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #14
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwyking
so ive gotten one suggestion the carboy in water thing. anyone else got any ideas?
The carboy in water thing is pretty much it...unless you're handy, in which case you could build a fermentation chiller. IIRC the materials for one of those run about $75.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 01-14-2007, 05:20 AM   #15
mcody2005

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just got my homebrew kit on x-mas(2006),so sorry if this thread is a little outdated. my first brew is an octoberfest lagger, antd i live in an appartment, therefore i dont have a cool basement or a lot of money to buy a specialized cooler so here is what i did. i took the box that my kit came in and turned it into an insulated cooler.
I cut one side of the box along the bottom, one side,and the top to make a door. than i cut a square hoe in the back of the box the same size as a 12volt compuer cooling fan that i had. made a square cardboard tube that connected the fan to a cardboard sill plate that ran across the bottom of my window( i made the sill plate as long as my window so that i could close my window on it and seal the outside air from getting into my warm appartment). this provided a cold air supply into my "chill box", but i found that without a vent for the warmer air to excape, the system wouldn't work right. i used a couple of paper towel rolls to vent the box. I cut a hole in the very top of the back side of the box and ran the tube down to the sill plate. i figure hot air rises, so let's force the hot air out first. anyway, the fan is connected to a thermostat from a small elecric heater. unfortunately, this thermostat was designed to turn somthing "on" if the temperature was too low, and turn somthing "off" if the temperature was too high. this was exactly opposite of how i needed to controll my fan. the solution was to power this fan off of a 5 pole automotive relay thus reversing the function of the thermostat. the whole thing is powered of of a 12 volt power supply inverter that plugs into the wall. i figure as long as the outside temperature is below 45 it should work o.k. this is the second day of my fermentation and i've held a steady 53 degree temp in the box. this system didnt cost me anything to build because i had most of the parts lying arround. one more thing, i noticed the fan was running alot longer than it wasn't running. i figured it was because my appatment was warming the box too much. I insulated the box with a layer of black garbage bag and 2 beach towels and it dosent seem to short cycle as badly. anyway gotta go figure out how to brew lager in the summer.its allready january!
Matt-

Last edited by mcody2005; 01-14-2007 at 05:22 AM.

Quick Reply