Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I always wanted to build a fermentation chamber in my basement and have a dryer vent hose connecting it to the outside. My logic was that the overall temp of the basement is 66 constant in the winter. The outside is usually below 35. I figure, the controller could be set to 33 to run a small 3" fan to pull air into the chamber from outside. A small "flapped" exhaust port in the chamber would let the warmer air out. This would essentially work for both lagering at 33 and fermenting at 55 as long as the outside temp was a little colder than your desired set temp. This could even be your freezer whereby the exercise I'm describing would keep your fridge from running during the winter. Worth it?

Jeezus-just watch the classifieds for an old chest freezer. Or ask around for one. Throw your controller on that and you're done! Why go through all the headaches? By the time you've gone and bought two controllers, two heating ducts, etc, you'd have prolly spent more money and definitely more time on something that will only work in wintertime, which is when you need it least. I'm on my second free freezer. The first was a hand-me down from my sister and the second was a give-away from the paper. Granted, it's ancient, but I only use it when I make a lager in the summeritme. In the winter my beer room is plenty cold.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

We're all about the gadgetry but you're right. It is more trouble than it's worth. However, electricity cost is not really all that trivial, especially when you consider the freebies are old power hogs.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #13
lefteye
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

My lagering fridge is a college fridge with the door removed and pasted to a box made of 2x2s and 5/8 ply wood. 1 1/2" rigid foam insulation lines the inside and a $70 controller holds the temp.
Holds four carboys and two cornies but can only brew lager in winter and ale in Summer due to climate.

Quick Reply