Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Kill-A-Watt Brewery Build Compilation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #51
MonkeyWrench
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Killer build.

I am putting together stuff to build a similar rig using 2 kegs and a dual element RIMS, one for recirculated mashing, and then both for fly sparging. I think mine will only use one pump too. I even kicked around the idea of a dual element keggle like what you'd done.

I love the built in chiller idea. I was planning on doing a CFC, but after seeing yours, might just modify my plans.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 04:48 AM   #52
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedCorpse View Post
Killer build.

I am putting together stuff to build a similar rig using 2 kegs and a dual element RIMS, one for recirculated mashing, and then both for fly sparging. I think mine will only use one pump too. I even kicked around the idea of a dual element keggle like what you'd done.

I love the built in chiller idea. I was planning on doing a CFC, but after seeing yours, might just modify my plans.
The dual element kettle and RIMS is unnecessary, but the additional cost is minimal... at least I dont have to hear how "weak" my system is again

The integral chiller is nice, costly, but nice

Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 AM   #53
The Pol
Recipes 

All of the stuff for the stand should be here in a week or so... then I can get all of the major components mounted. Once that is completed (1-2 weeks), then I can get the BCS and SSRs installed and fire it up!

Old 01-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #54
MonkeyWrench
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
The dual element kettle and RIMS is unnecessary, but the additional cost is minimal... at least I dont have to hear how "weak" my system is again

The integral chiller is nice, costly, but nice
I was going to run a 120v LWD element for RIMS function then kick on a 240v 4500 HWD element for fly sparging. I know with the talk about HWD not actually scorching, maybe I can run 2 HWD elements at around 3500 each so I can still run off my 30A outlet and have the power to fly sparge my 38* tap water. I'd rather over engineer the first time, then have to re-engineer a second time.

Also, for your dual elements, I'm assuming you will be running on 1 PID and 1 thermocouple, but 2 SSRs, one for each element? This would be a more cost effective way for me as well because I was going to run one PID for RIMS and one PID for sparging, each with their own thermocouple.

Ya, your stainless tubing is nice, but too rich for my blood. If I incorporate your idea, it will be with copper tubing instead.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 01-24-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #55
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
I was going to run a 120v LWD element for RIMS function then kick on a 240v 4500 HWD element for fly sparging. I know with the talk about HWD not actually scorching, maybe I can run 2 HWD elements at around 3500 each so I can still run off my 30A outlet and have the power to fly sparge my 38* tap water. I'd rather over engineer the first time, then have to re-engineer a second time.

Also, for your dual elements, I'm assuming you will be running on 1 PID and 1 thermocouple, but 2 SSRs, one for each element? This would be a more cost effective way for me as well because I was going to run one PID for RIMS and one PID for sparging, each with their own thermocouple.

Ya, your stainless tubing is nice, but too rich for my blood. If I incorporate your idea, it will be with copper tubing instead.
I am sure you know this, but it bears pointing out, 7000W would run you just over 29A, leaving you no room to run a single pump, unless of course you are running them on another circuit, which you may.

The on demand water heater idea should work, mathematically, with 7000W in the heater.

EDIT
This is BCS controlled... EACH element will have (2) SSRs and have its OWN PID/Control output. SO, the RIMS will have (4) SSRs and (2) controls to run it, the Kettle will have (4) SSRs and (2) PID/control outputs as well... The pumps will each have a single SSR and a single control output, each

This will allow me and the BCS to operate the kettle and the RIMS on a single elelement when it is programmed to do so, and during certain processes run both elements with full PID control or manual, or ON/OFF control.

The kettle will have the option of temp. controlled PID, but that will not be used for the boil, only duty cycle for that.

The integrated coil was pricey, $232 or so, but the 50' copper chiller was $15 MORE than the 50' SS chiller at Midwest... SS and copper are very close in price when it comes to tubing. The fittings were mucho pricey

Last edited by The Pol; 01-24-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #56
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
I am sure you know this, but it bears pointing out, 7000W would run you just over 29A, leaving you no room to run a single pump, unless of course you are running them on another circuit, which you may.
Give or take 10% on the circuit breaker. I had a customer running a dryer on a 20 amp circuit for years. The dryer was rated at 30 but will draw about 21 or so under full load. Well, after some years the circuit breaker starts tripping and I get the call. They didn't want to hear it was a feed problem because it had worked fine for so many years....... (I pointed to the tag on the dryer that said 30 amps and the breaker that said 20 and that seemed to help......)

That said, notice the dryer draws about 2/3's the rated current.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #57
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
On 30 Amps I would say one 1500W and a 4500W will get you where you need to be. with some extra amps to to spare.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #58
MonkeyWrench
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ya, I was planning on using a 110v pump on a separate outlet, but I have considered upgrading my 240v outlet to 40A (if the wire is big enough) and running a 240v pump instead.

It might work as is, or not. I suppose those 3500w elements have a tolerance as well. My luck would be that I have a -10% outlet and 2 +10% elements.

I missed the BCS controller detail. I'll surely be keeping an eye on this build.

Sorry for the hijack, back to the bling!

Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 01-24-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #59
The Pol
Recipes 

Final orders placed today...

Everything will be in house soon to complete the build.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #60
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Final orders placed today...

Everything will be in house soon to complete the build.
Wow... you are on fire!

What do you have planned for insulating your vessels?
I'm guessing it will have to be removable so you can use all that bling as a mirror to shave with in the mornings.

Ed

Quick Reply