Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Kill-A-Watt Brewery Build Compilation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #111
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmoor View Post
So are you using three SSR's for your 240v? one for PID function and 2 to cut power?

When I hit the switch for my 120v relay the current is off. On my 240v I have one SSR going to the PWM control which I can turn down to the "off" position, and the second SSR on a switch to cut the second leg.

With the BCS, can you just cut signal to both SSR's and then a third on a physical switch?
I only need (2) SSRs for a 240VAC element. Both are tied to the same PID function on the BCS. Why do I need three switches (SSRs)?

Last edited by The Pol; 01-26-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #112
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
You're not telling me anything I don't already understand. Just trying to explain something to some one who clearly doesn't understand the concept. Mirrored/180 oop is it really necessary to split hairs for this application?
Thanks for the education....
I've been in the appliance repair business for over 30 years. I still run into guys that don't understand the correct way of thinking about it and still don't understand why it isn't considered "two phase". Your way of explaining it is EXACTLY the way it was first explained to these guys and it is hard for them to get that out of their thinking. (I didn't actually understand it until taking a engineering course) So to you it might be a 'hair' but I have seen people walking around confused for YEARS because of it. I think it is actually easier to explain it as a 240 volt transformer that is center tapped for neutral from the start. Now it is intuitive as to why it is single phase. Just MY experience though.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #113
Brewmoor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Why do I need three switches (SSRs)?
I guess I didn't understand how you were installing everything in relation to the BCS. The reason I thought you might need a third is because of safety outside of the BCS. I think you mentioned this in another thread. The E-Stop button function. I was assuming from your post that you were only going to use the BCS to shut off current. I thought you would need a third to run to a physical switch for safety reasons.

So it looks like you are going to interrupt the outputs from the BCS with a switch. Is that right?

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #114
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I've been in the appliance repair business for over 30 years. I still run into guys that don't understand the correct way of thinking about it and still don't understand why it isn't considered "two phase". Your way of explaining it is EXACTLY the way it was first explained to these guys and it is hard for them to get that out of their thinking. (I didn't actually understand it until taking a engineering course) So to you it might be a 'hair' but I have seen people walking around confused for YEARS because of it. I think it is actually easier to explain it as a 240 volt transformer that is center tapped for neutral from the start. Now it is intuitive as to why it is single phase. Just MY experience though.
I see what you're driving at, and perhaps I've found it is just easier to explain it to people this way. Perhaps I am lazy on my part. However sir, you need to work on your delivery All I got from your initial post was a quick summary enough to say, "technically you're wrong and I'll be vague enough to show you I'm right. The rest of the audience is still in the dark, never mind the fact I am bringing this up to educate them."

Something more or less like L1 to Neutral and L2 to Neutral only pick up a quarter cycle of the wave form resulting in half the amplitude when compared to L1 and L2's half cycle. Then you need to get into RMS and all that good stuff because we shouldn't confuse people that it isn't 240V peak to peak. And I am sure we can drill down to something else from there.

Any how, we're not educating electricians or engineers. If you feel you need to know that much about it then take a class. It's enough to get some one to understand the gist of it. Perhaps it frustrates you because you were taught wrong starting off in a trade when you should have been shown the right way the first time. I agree with that.

Regardless, cheers.

Sorry for polluting the thread Pol. I'm done talking about it.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:48 PM   #115
The Pol
Recipes 

More new photos, finally got my rig (top) today!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:55 PM   #116
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Me No Seeee New Pics

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #117
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog House Brew View Post
Me No Seeee New Pics
Then you aint looking hard enough, first page, near the SSRs

Old 01-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #118
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Duh, forgot U r su-fist-a-cated. What is the material? I like the originality. I thought it was going to be all boring, like stainless.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 AM   #119
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog House Brew View Post
Duh, forgot U r su-fist-a-cated. What is the material? I like the originality. I thought it was going to be all boring, like stainless.
It is a high temp +210F black/charcoal nylon sheeting. It will be the surface of the work area... I thought it would give good contrast with the SS components.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #120
The Pol
Recipes 

New Pic posted to show the "plumbing controls" very clean... this is the ONLY plumbing/wiring you will see. This work top will probably sit atop something refined looking and cherry wood in color. Not industrial.

SEE FIRST PAGE NEAR SSRs

Last edited by The Pol; 01-27-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Quick Reply