Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Kettle vs Keggle-brutus type build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
schristian619
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Kettle vs Keggle-brutus type build

I am starting to piece together and plan out a brutus 10 type system and and looking at kettles. I currently have a 15 gallon boilermaker, that I really like. I debating between buying a couple more of those, or buying/making a couple keggles. Obviously, the keggles are cheaper, which is a big plus, but I worry about them being harder to clean/bulkier. Is there anyone that has used both that can chime in and push me one way or another. FWIW, if I did go with keggles, I would probably buy them from kegglebrewing. I was also thinking that if i did go with keggles, I might sell my BM and get three keggles for consistency.

Side question, keggle users, what do you use as a hop filter and how does it compare to the boilermakers boil screen? False bottom, how does it compare to Blichmanns?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I haven't used a kettle since my first 5 gallon one, so I can't really give you pros/cons on each, but I love my keggle.

It's a little bulky, but if you're building a brutus, you'll have a pump and won't need to move them around anyway. I use something like this http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/reco...mblies-155366/ scroll down the page to the second picture. It works great for filter hops and break material.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

I have three Keggles in my brewery and if I had to do all over again I would go with kettles in a heartbeat. I think kettles are more managable because they are not as tall. It is easier to drain a kettle more completely because the bottom is flat where the bottom of the Keggle is not. A Keggle is all stainless steel where a kettle can be all aluminum which is a much better transmitter of heat or you can go with a stainless kettle with a copper/aluminum sandwiched bottom for heat transfer. I also don't like the heat that gets trapped under the skirt of the Keggle.

Guy

Old 01-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
schristian619
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

good point about kettles being more manageable. Kegs are a bit tall and seemingly bulky. What do you use to filter hops in your keggles? how does it work, does it work with pellets?

Old 01-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I love my keggles but I will agree they are big ans bulky, but that is it. The heat transfer is less than aluminum but that works just as well going in the other direction too

I thought draining out of a keggle was much easier. I don't have my pick up right in the middle of the keg, it is about 4 inches from center. After a whirl pool it leaves a small puddle and the trub. You could put it right in the middle and purge the trub first if you wanted to get as much as possible.

I use hop socks for all of my additions (pellets), keeps the trub way down, I don't understand why some one wouldnt want to use one.

If you've designed the system so it can CIP then I would be all about keggles. If you have to break it down and move stuff around to clean, kettle all the way.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

I just got my Boilermakers today...

I have NO screen in my BK

I whirlpool the BK and rotated my pickup in my Boilermaker so that I can leave the trub in the bottom.

I am a pellet hop user

Old 01-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
Mirilis
Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have keggles and I like them .. probably because im cheap and cant afford a boilermaker

=============
I have no cool threads to link.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

BMs are expensive, but you get A LOT more than a kettle. At one time I would not have purchased them either, but selling a rig gave me the means to get a couple and some other stuff.

Keggles are nice, but HEAVY and BULKY

They are cheap, but you are getting a lot less than you do with a BM

Old 01-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

I use Lil' Sparky's paint strainer hop filter contraption except I use a 150 micron, polyester tubular filter in mine. I don't get any hop debris at all and the filter has not affected the hoppiness of my beer. There are a lot of ways to do it, whirlpooling, hop sacks, hop filters and hop stoppers. You have to pick the method that works for you. I use a Blichmann plate chiller so I don't want any hop debris at all to clog my chiller.

Guy

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 01-14-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
schristian619
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

thanks for your thoughts. I'll have to see how money looks when it comes time to pull the trigger. I do love my boilermaker, and I will have to carry them inside to clean (I live in an apt and brew on the patio), so they seem easier in that regard. But saving a couple hundred is always nice...that can go to my new upgraded keezer project planned after this.

Quick Reply