kegs in a chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjm6

Reaction score
hi,

i had a quick question. i am thinking about purchasing a chest freezer to hold my kegging setup. my only concern is i'm not sure how large a freezer i should buy. i want to be able to have a corny keg of homebrew in it, while i'm sure my friends will want a half barrel of busch in there as well. i was wondering if someone had a size recommendation that would hold this but not much more, i'm trying to keep costs low (i'm a poor college student).

thayer

tjm6 said:
hi,

i had a quick question. i am thinking about purchasing a chest freezer to hold my kegging setup. my only concern is i'm not sure how large a freezer i should buy. i want to be able to have a corny keg of homebrew in it, while i'm sure my friends will want a half barrel of busch in there as well. i was wondering if someone had a size recommendation that would hold this but not much more, i'm trying to keep costs low (i'm a poor college student).

thayer
I advise the biggest chest freezer that you can afford, and that you have space for. If you buy small, you can quickly outgrow it. If you start out too big, you can easily expand without having to shuck out more dough.

Buy used. Comb the classifieds and check out any used appliance stores in town. And take bikebryan's advice and get the biggest one you can afford. Take some measurements and see how much footprint a 1/2 barrel keg and a corny actually take up and choose your freezer accordingly. Don't forget the cost of the external temperature controller too (check ebay).

Prosit!

tnlandsailor said:
Buy used.

Exactly! Sometimes fridge/freezer disposal costs are so great that people will give them away. My current keg fridge was a freebie and I've gotten several others for free as well. People are always upgrading, and you just need something that's cold...doesn't matter if it's avocado-colored ;)

Get the biggest cheap/free one you can find. You'll buy more kegs. You'll want to try lagering. Etc, etc, etc. You can't have too much space. I think I could fill a walk-in freezer if I could have one.

As a matter of fact, my current fridge is that groovy crap-brown that shag carpets used to be in the 70's. So "out" that it's "in" again! Yeah, baby!

Cheers :D

goodwill industries in this area run stores and sell off the donations. if similar exists you can usually pick up a decent unit at a great price - i bought a stand up freezer in great working order for a paultry $100

Back