Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Keggles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Keggles

I have seen a number of keggles on Ebay ranging from 150-300 dollars depending on what is installed on them. My question is, do people actually pay that much for a keggle?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This is why I do not understand keggles. I have them, but made them before joining this forum and understanding that the deposit does not "buy" the keg. I got mine in a college town and bought them from a liquor store owner who new exactly what I was doing. Oh well

If I were to do it over, knowing what I now do, I would just buy kettles. They are nicer and not much more expensive. I have decided the Blichmann's are the best for me, but the B3 kettles are also very nice if you really prefer welded connections (costs are comparable).

Old 11-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Most people get them purchase them illegally or at least questionably and modify them theirself, so no, most people don't pay that much for them. That's why so many people use them.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter View Post
This is why I do not understand keggles. I have them, but made them before joining this forum and understanding that the deposit does not "buy" the keg. I got mine in a college town and bought them from a liquor store owner who new exactly what I was doing. Oh well
Well put and I did the same

Old 11-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4896 Times on 4478 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I bought mine from a Scrap Yard for $15 dollars each. That said, now that I am sick and tired of DIY builds and mods. I am more willing to spend the cash for the pre-manufactured kettle.

$300 for a keggle is a stretch for me even if it were full sanitary weld. I might consider that price if it were fit for tri-clamp.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
Milhouse
Recipes 

A keg by itself does not cost much. But putting together a keggle does take some time and resources. I was eager to get a keggle of my own, I admit I was tempted to order on online, but I held out and put all the time and pieces into it. I certainly saved alot of money, but I can understand why anxious homebrewers with deep pockets would buy these at crazy prices.

Mr. C's Premium Home Brews

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense
of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

I have two keggles. I put up a wanted ad on craigslist, and got several offers and bought one for $30. There were several which were "old style" golden gate kegs, the kind with a bung in them so be sure you ask what kind of keg before you drive over to pick it up. My other keg I had Jaybird from this forum cut up for me with his plasma cutter . He did a killer job and even fashioned a lid out of the top of the keg.

I used an angle grinder with a thin cutoff wheel to cut out the top, and a bimetal hole saw to drill the hole for my weldless spigot kit. I also installed a bazooka T-screen, which works great for filtering out those hops. All together I probably spent close to $100 on all the materials and equipment for the keggle. If you have a welder friend, you might be able to have them cut out and weld a 1/2" bulkhead on there for some homebrews.

I highly recommend sourcing the kegs yourself, especially if money is an issue. While I'd like to buy 3 Blichmanns, I just am not going to drop $300 a pop on kettles, when I can brew the same quality beer by spending $100. That's just me...maybe when I have a grand to spend on brewing stuff I'll change my mind.

Here they are in action at the latest Chico group brew day:

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 11-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

No offense to anyone here or anywhere.... but if you are going to post an ad like that in CL, save yourself the trouble and go to your local college liquor store. The keg you receive from a CL wanted ad is a more expensive version of the stolen keg that involved a middle man. You will never get in trouble by obtaining a keg via the deposit, it is purely a moral qualm. The number of kegs lost through frat house walls pales how many are taken by homebrewers. The big breweries don't care enough to do anything about it. That doesn't make it right, it is just the facts. If you care then do the right thing, if you don't some people on a forum you have never really met aren't going ot change your mind.

This has been beaten to death here and doesn't need to be brought up. If you really want a keg, and care that it is legal, do a search here for reputable vendors of kegs. If you are considering getting one on Ebay or CL, just go get one yourself for $10.

This is why I say that keggles no longer make sense to me. I would not knowingly steal a keg. Therefore they are not very cost effective and I would opt for a kettle.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter View Post
No offense to anyone here or anywhere.... but if you are going to post an ad like that in CL, save yourself the trouble and go to your local college liquor store. The keg you receive from a CL wanted ad is a more expensive version of the stolen keg that involved a middle man. You will never get in trouble by obtaining a keg via the deposit, it is purely a moral qualm. The number of kegs lost through frat house walls pales how many are taken by homebrewers. The big breweries don't care enough to do anything about it. That doesn't make it right, it is just the facts. If you care then do the right thing, if you don't some people on a forum you have never really met aren't going ot change your mind.

This has been beaten to death here and doesn't need to be brought up. If you really want a keg, and care that it is legal, do a search here for reputable vendors of kegs. If you are considering getting one on Ebay or CL, just go get one yourself for $10.

This is why I say that keggles no longer make sense to me. I would not knowingly steal a keg. Therefore they are not very cost effective and I would opt for a kettle.
Oh, forgot to mention that these kegs were damaged...had some dents in them and had been retired. They were no longer servicable and had been retired due to their damaged state. I had to bang some dents out...

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 11-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 8 Posts

I never brought up the ethical dilemna of obtaining a keg. How about we stay on the topic at hand, which was pricing...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Quick Reply