Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Keggle vs SS pot vs almighty Boilermaker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #41
schristian619
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

cool thanks. I ordered last night, but they say to call them to pay, so I'll double check. Maybe they do have both.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #42
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrew View Post
^^ thats exactly what i thought...especially the false bottom...doesn't seem too efficient in comparison to the standard mesh...
No way, the Blichmann false bottom is hands down the best in the business. I would suggest a Boilermaker for an MT for that reason alone.
On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 04-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #43
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
I have 3 keggles and IMO they are the best. I gaurantee, though, that anyone who spend the clams on a shiny blichmann pot will differ.
Not everyone. But I haven't tried everything out there so I certainly can't say what's best.

I have a Blichmann and for the most part I agree with the previous posters on the features but it has it's own set of issues (perhaps shared with some/all of the other contenders).

The thermometer is mounted too high so it's essentially useless until you get up to a certain volume. Even then I find it almost useless because it rarely agrees with a thermopen stuck in the middle of the mash. As the thin wall of the Boilermaker cools (and it does so very quickly) the built-in thermometer reading plummets along with it. I don't want to have to stir for several minutes to get a decent temp reading. I still never use the built-in thermometer so for me it's a waste.

When used as a mash tun, the thin-wall of the BM allows the mash to cool quite a bit. A thick-walled Megapot doesn't do this to nearly the degree the BM does. But you'd prob have to insulate just about anything anyway so maybe this is a push. It does save weight.

Those are my biggest issues when using it as a mash-tun. The thin-wall and thermometer placement (and accuracy) are not an issue when used a boil kettle.

Some people love building brewing stuff but some of us would just rather spend that time brewing or drinking or w/e. If I save a tiny bit of money but spend many hours working on it, I've lost. But those that love to build have won because they enjoyed the whole process. It's just about what works for you.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Last edited by SpanishCastleAle; 04-16-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelin

Old 04-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #44
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

Agree 100%. The Boilermaker thermometer placement is dogschit. I basically do not use it. Since I recirc my thermocouple placement is in the stream and that's calibrated and works perfectly.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 04-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #45
willynilly
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt View Post
Agree 100%. The Boilermaker thermometer placement is dogschit. I basically do not use it. Since I recirc my thermocouple placement is in the stream and that's calibrated and works perfectly.
Sad part is, the only reason it is there is because of the limit of the jig that they use to line it up

Old 04-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #46
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

They could offset it to the side but then it would look odd and he might sell less pots to the BMW owner crowd.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #47
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
They could offset it to the side but then it would look odd and he might sell less pots to the BMW owner crowd.
Ah, I drive a Toyota truck. I just want it to work simply and efficiently.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 04-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #48
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

98 Tacoma 4x4 here hoss

Old 04-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #49
jpc
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Meh. Audi >> BMW.

And yes, I have a Blichmann... Mainly because a keg doesn't fit too well on my stovetop, and due to circumstances I'm stuck inside.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #50
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3071 Times on 1931 Posts
Likes Given: 2608

One thing that no one mentions is the risk attendant with drilling several holes in your pot or keg. The 3/4" aren't too bad for the 2-4 valves, the sight glass, the thermometer, HERMS connections. The 1 1/4" hole for the electrical element is a ball-buster. I have done this to 4 keggles and I didn't worry about screwing up because I would only be out about $30. Screw up an expensive pot and it is a very different story.

This might be an argument for buying a pot with all the fittings already installed.

Quick Reply