Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Keggle vs SS pot vs almighty Boilermaker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
Gabrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Keggle vs SS pot vs almighty Boilermaker

Hey everyone,

Slowly but surely planning on building a version of the infamous Brutus 10. Question is...I have access to kegs but have come through numerous posts where people are all wired up on the Blichmann and other SS pots. I do realize that the kegs will require some modification, but that the fun part....right?

Just wanted to know what the Blichmann hype was all about and what sites provide the necessary equipement for keg modifications (false bottom, sight glass,...etc all non-weld).

Thanks for you help!!

Gabrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 01:01 AM   #2
Lonnie Mac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrew View Post
Hey everyone,

Slowly but surely planning on building a version of the infamous Brutus 10. Question is...I have access to kegs but have come through numerous posts where people are all wired up on the Blichmann and other SS pots. I do realize that the kegs will require some modification, but that the fun part....right?

Just wanted to know what the Blichmann hype was all about and what sites provide the necessary equipement for keg modifications (false bottom, sight glass,...etc all non-weld).

Thanks for you help!!

Gabrew
Can't help much my friend except to say that that's why I stuck with the SS pots... They already come with a big hole in the top!

When the Blich's first came out, he and I conversed about adding the dimensions of his pots to his website as I was getting a ton of questions if they would fit. I believe they are still there on his site, although I know that some are having an issue with the 15 gals fitting on my stand... They have reversed engineered several mods to make these pots fit nicely... The stepped bottom would be the only issue that I know about.

Lonnie Mac...
President of the Brutus Ten cult!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
Gabrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

wow, an answer from the Brutus guru himself!

I've just watched the videos and pushed me into building a brutus rather than buying a turn-key system.

So from what i understand, you are not using the blichmann but SS pot...would you mind letting me in on which ones (polar or megapots or...??)

thanks!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's all bling factor if you ask me. You can put together a 3 keg system for less than 1 Boilmaker. Save the money and use it on other aspects of your system.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #5
Gabrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

^^ thats exactly what i thought...especially the false bottom...doesn't seem too efficient in comparison to the standard mesh...

Old 04-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #6
dunleav1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have kegs that I converted myself. I built a brutus clone.
I would like to have the morebeer 15 gallon pots now.
The concave bottom in the kettle causes some issues that I jsut deal with for now.

Last edited by dunleav1; 04-15-2010 at 01:25 AM.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
Gabrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunleav1 View Post
I have kegs that I converted myself. I built a brutus clone.
I would to have the morebeer 15 gallon pots now.
The concave bottom in the kettle causes some issues that I jsut deal with for now.
what kind of issues
-loss of wort?
-trouble draining?
-burn-on?

thanks

Old 04-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #8
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3063 Times on 1926 Posts
Likes Given: 2597

First, this site is the only one you will need for all your beer needs. The DIY section, especially in the sticky at the top called "Project Locator".

I have 3 keggles and IMO they are the best. I gaurantee, though, that anyone who spend the clams on a shiny blichmann pot will differ.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #9
BucksPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

i built a brutus 10 using kegs. i enjoyed building the system, from polishing the kegs to welding the stand and kegs, so if you think you will enjoy building it, go that route. some of the differences i know of, without assumption, is that kegs are not identical, as some have dings, and different shapes, etc. blichmann's kettles are precisely accurate and similiar in shape and size. DIY hole punching in kegs is hard to get accurate.

kegs can be cheaper than Blichmann's---but not by much when you put all costs of welded/weldless sightglasses, temp gauges, drain valves, etc. browse the classifieds for some used blichmann kettles and you may come across a good deal.

my only assumption here is that Blichmann kettles probably hot a more even heat distribution more-so than kegs.

as far as equipment, search the vendors here on HBT. Jaybird makes excellent false bottoms (go with the hinged version if you are using kegs).

For my brutus build, I obtained 90% of my equipment through MoreBeer.com, brewershardware.com, northernbrewer.com, and austinhomebrew.com.

morebeer has been excellent to me. i rarely order online with them. i usually call in and speak with them over the phone. good luck and pm me if you have specific questions or are having hard times finding certain parts. i'll be more than happy to help you as i just brewed my first batch last weekend on my new system and am brewing again this weekend,

cheers mate

40 Gallons brewed in 2013....and counting
33 Gallons brewed in 2012
159 Gallons brewed in 2011

My Brutus 10

Old 04-15-2010, 01:18 AM   #10
Gabrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome...thanks everyone for the heads up and encouragement on going with the Brutus.

Because I can pretty much get the kegs for free, I'll most probably be going that route for now and if every I decide to change in the future...the rig will accomodate 15gal kettles.

Cant wait to get started!!!!

Quick Reply