Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Keggle question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
2nd Street Brewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Keggle question

Ok, I've searched through the posts on keg conversions and found most of what I am going to need to do. However, I haven't found any info on the size and positioning of the holes for a drain valve and sightetube. What I am looking for is the diameter of the hole and how far up off the bottom of the keg the drain valve should be positioned. Also, what is the best way to cut the hole? Can it be drilled out with a hand drill? The sighttube I figure will have instructions but again not sure.

Thanks

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You should drill the hole for the drain as low as you can with out hitting the bottom side of the keg where it connects with the walls of the keg. figure out if you will be using a 1/2 or 3/8 inch ball valve for the drain and then find someone who has either a 1/2 or 5/8 inch drill bit ( as each bit is about 20 bucks for that size) and have them drill the hole in the top.

I am here to tell you that a sawsall (spelling) is not the tool to cut out the top. if you know of a welder in your area ask him what he will charge to plasma cut the top out. i have a buddy with one and it took him all of 3 min to cut the top off of two kegs for me. I tried a sawsall first and it is very hard to get those to turn and follow a round line.

Have fun

reverend

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 11-02-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

your going to have to do some grinding though to get that edge smooth if you use a plasma cutter.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

The advice that I heard someone give was, before you cut the top, find the lid that you want to use and make your markings based on that.

Congrats, by the way - but you're still a bastid (WHY did I only search on "beer" instead of "keg"??)

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I'm taking the keg with me this weekend to visit my brother in law since he has a full welding/torch set. I'm planning on him cutting the holes. So the valve hole is what ever the size ball valve is? I wasn't sure if the size of the valve refered to the nipple or the diameter.

Bird, you will really hate me now. I was talking to a friend at the local watering hole I frequent and mentioned I was picking up this keg today. He asked me if I wanted another one. It's only a quarterkeg not a half but he's had it lying around for about 5 years and wanted to get rid of it. I'm planning on using it as a HLT when I get my grain system set up

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

I've got a bid in on a keggle on eBay, if I win that all will be forgiven...

I told my wife that I wanted an empty beer keg for my birthday, she just looked at me and sighed...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 11-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Funny! My wife doesn't listen to me anymore. Since I re-started this hobby all I talk about is how I can improve my system. What I want for my Birthday - beer stuff - what I want for Christmas - Beer Stuff. Maybe I can buy my son some beer stuff for his birthday.

To her everything that comes out of my mouth is beer stuff. To me it is my livelyhood.!!

Happy Beersgiving and a Merry Brewmas!!

- WW

Old 11-02-2006, 07:14 PM   #8
Beer Weavel
Recipes 

Default Keggle holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Street Brewery
Well, I'm taking the keg with me this weekend to visit my brother in law since he has a full welding/torch set. I'm planning on him cutting the holes. So the valve hole is what ever the size ball valve is? I wasn't sure if the size of the valve refered to the nipple or the diameter.

Bird, you will really hate me now. I was talking to a friend at the local watering hole I frequent and mentioned I was picking up this keg today. He asked me if I wanted another one. It's only a quarterkeg not a half but he's had it lying around for about 5 years and wanted to get rid of it. I'm planning on using it as a HLT when I get my grain system set up
Please don't let your brother in law cut the keggle with a TORCH we weld stainless steel all the time and a torch will distort the stainless and make the keg worthless. A torch will render to much heat in a concentrated spot and distort the sorrounding area. The correct way is to use a plasma cutter (very little heat). This procedure if you have it well marked before hand should cost between $10.00 to $20.00 bones.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

I'm 99% sure it's a plasma cutter his B-I-L has.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #10
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

2nd Street-

You will want to cut the hole about an 1/8 inch larger than the ball valve size. I have 1/2 ball valves and i needed a 5/8 inch bit and the holes are perfect.

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Quick Reply