Keggle Conversion Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewCityBeerBuffs

brewcitybeerbuffs.com
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sup Beer peeps,

I'm back in the process of getting my rig setup, and finally pulled my gear out of my storage. I've had 2 of the kegs for about a year and half, and the other one I just picked up about a week ago. Today while cleaning the inside of the kegs with just water and a sponge, I noticed what seemed to be rust on the inside of the two older kegs. One older keg and one newer keg had what looked to me scuff marks on the bottom of the keg. (As I think about that it could be from when I was cutting the tops off) Is that something that I will need to worry about? On the 3rd keg (newer one) as I was cleaning I noticed that where the weld was it seemed to not be smooth and had open pockets. I'm wondering if I'm better off going to get new kegs, or is this something that I can have my welder fix when I drop them off to have everything welded onto them. Pic's attachted, and thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,
Mark

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2307.jpg

I am certainly not an authority but, I would guess that perhaps the cutting tool used for the top had some steel fragments embedded. The process of cutting could have stuck them to the sides of the keg. Do they clean off easily?

I wouldn't worry about the scuffs too much. As far as the pitting, if it was good enough for the commercial brewery to store finished beer I would think it would suffice for making wort.

have to agree with skeaterbait, clean them up with some BKF and a SS scrubby or whatever you have and get to using them.

Back