Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Keggle BK + false bottom?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
r8rphan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnel View Post
I have never tried using a FB in boil kettle but have heard from others that it is a nightmare and clogs up to easily since that is the main settle point for trub. I believe Bobby M once posted something that looked like a 3 dimension triangle almost like a teepee tent made from ss mesh screen, i've been very interested in trying that since the top of the tent would hopefully rise out of the trub bed.
Isn't whirlpooling supposed to take care of the clogging? And if it does get clogged, couldn't you just scrape the bottom with a spoon (while you're whirlpooling even?

What I like about the idea of a FB, is that underneath it is 'only wort'.. and so this should allow your dip tube to pick up every last drop...

In theory anyways...

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
ibbones
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I use a SS scrubbie around my diptube and toss the hops right in. Pellet and hole leaf. It's never worked less than amazing. I would just toss them after each brew instead of trying to clean them out. That said, I am finding it very difficult to find the large SS scrubbies and I am out. I'm planning on getting a FB from Jaybird.
I found some really large SS scrubbies at a Kitchen supply store. I had to buy a bag of 24 so they last a long time.

"BONES"

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #13
marnel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a hardtime whirlpooling as my electric element cuts right through the center of the keg disturbing the dynamics of the actual whirl, so i couldn't answer that. It looks like Catt22 does it with no problems, makes me tempted to try but i think my element would make it hard to slide the FB in and out (possibly one of the first drawbacks i've encountered in Electric brewing).

Old 12-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
truckmann
Mann Cave Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=NYP1S

I just use one of these filter bags in a 200 micron size and I'm thinking of trying out the 400 micron size to see how it does. I put a small piece of stainless tubing I have to make sure it stays weighted down and it works great with no noticeable loss of IBU's. The bags last a long time, I used my first one for over a year before deciding to replace it.

Quick Reply