Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > keggle and 25' IC?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
SixFoFalcon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been using a 25' chiler with my keggle for years. (And contrary to popular belief, 25' is PLENTY to chill 10 gallons of wort in a short time.)

I just made it myself since most of the ones I saw on the market were overpriced, not the ideal dimensions, and kinda junky in terms of quality. I used the standard 1/4" soft copper refrigerant line for the coils, then used 1/4" x 3/8" fittings to connect to standard household copper pipe. From there it's dead simple to extend it up as high as you want or need, solder on some 90s, and terminate with whatever fittings you want.

On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
davis119
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

That's the post I was looking for......

But... I just bought 50' of 3/8" copper yesterday day. Going to make the chiller tonight.

I didn't notice do u have a pick up tube in your keggle? I guess ill just have to rest the chiller on top of mine

Old 03-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I rest my IC on top of my pickup tube.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 03-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
cobolstinks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixFoFalcon View Post
I've been using a 25' chiler with my keggle for years. (And contrary to popular belief, 25' is PLENTY to chill 10 gallons of wort in a short time.)

I just made it myself since most of the ones I saw on the market were overpriced, not the ideal dimensions, and kinda junky in terms of quality. I used the standard 1/4" soft copper refrigerant line for the coils, then used 1/4" x 3/8" fittings to connect to standard household copper pipe. From there it's dead simple to extend it up as high as you want or need, solder on some 90s, and terminate with whatever fittings you want.
what is a 'short time'? It took me at least 25 min to chill 10 gallons to pitching temps with a ~80' IC in a keggle...

Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolstinks View Post
what is a 'short time'? It took me at least 25 min to chill 10 gallons to pitching temps with a ~80' IC in a keggle...
The only time I've had performance that bad is in the peak of summer months, when my "cold" tap water is in the 70s. In wintertime I can bring it down from the boil to pitching temps in about 10 minutes.

The key to IC efficiency is to keep the wort moving relative to the IC. This could be swirling the IC in the wort, stirring the wort with a spoon or paddle, or using a recirculation/whirlpool pump. When the wort or IC stops moving, cooling comes to a grinding halt in a matter of seconds. You can verify this by feeling the heat on the output side. If you let things stagnate, it goes from warm (removing heat from the wort) to cool (not doing anything) in seconds. Swirl the IC around and it gets warm again instantly.

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon

Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #16
Smits07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Are you using a garden hose or pump?

When you say 10 minutes to pitches are you using garden hose or pump type set up

I just moved up to keggle batches. I bought a 60 3/8" OD cooper coil, and sump pump. I fill a cooler up with ice water and let it pump and recirculate. With my set up it took 30 minutes to get it down to 80 degrees. The pump has a hard time getting the water through the coil since it is long and narrow. The pump is rated at 1400 gpm, but hooked up to my chiller, I get about 60-100 gallons a minute. Wondering if there is a better way to get me down to 10-20 minute range of chilling.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #17
davis119
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

^ what's the temp of your ground water? Il using 3/8" 50' with 60ish degree water and chilling to -70 in about 20mins

Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #18
Crr001
Recipes 

Mine has 90 deg turns before the hose fittings, this makes it hang perfectly over the edge with the coil off the bottom. That's how I like it because the hotter wort will be at the top anyways and convection will get everything uniform.

Are you guys just setting it in there and walking away? I've cut down on my cooling times DRASTICALLY by swirling it around quite a bit. I've got crazy cold tap water though (Anchorage AK) so i only have to put up with swirling for several minutes.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #19
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Smits07, the 10 minutes timeframe is in winter (when I do most of my brewing) using city tap water through the garden hose. I'm guessing water temperatures are in the low 50s or maybe even 40s because I've accidentally gotten sidetracked and overchilled wort into the upper 50s on two occasions.

I tried timing the chill yesterday when I brewed a 10.5 gallon batch of Witbier. It took 10 minutes to get to 100 degrees, but at that point it really tapered off. I ended up cleaning up and tending the BBQ so I don't know the precise time it hit pitching temps, but I'm guessing it was somewhere between 30 & 45 mins after flameout. The weather has been really warm so tap water temps are warmer than usual for this time of year. EDIT: Measured cold tap water at 56° F. Going by feel, I'd say mid-winter temps must be about 10° F colder.

In summer it's really bad--the "cold" city tap water is almost tepid. I've tried using a pre-chiller in an ice-saltwater bath but at the end of the day it's just faster/easier to get it down into the 80s, transfer to the fermenter, and put it in front of an AC register for a while 'til its cool enough to pitch. It would be more efficient to actually pump ice-chilled water through the IC itself rather than using a pre-chiller, but the pumps I've tried aren't powerful enough to get water through the chiller at a decent rate.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS