The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Keg Washer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
cloveall
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keg Washer

One of the places around here has these keg washers (http://kegwasher.com/) for $69. Anybody have or use one? Worth the money? Even with a utility sink in the basement, some of the larger items, particularly the kegs, don't really fit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
tophmck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Wow, that's a really good price. I got mine for $84 shipped -- and that was on sale (deal of the day from morebeer). $69 would put it in the same ballpark as building one yourself.

There's plenty of discussion of these thing, both pro and con. I think this is the main thread.

Anyway, I like mine a lot. I used to dread cleaning kegs & better bottles, and this makes it a breeze. I also use it to recirculate BLC through my kegerator lines, which I used to totally neglect.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
cfrazier77
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I have one and I really like it. It makes life easier for me.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Love mine and that is a great deal! Make sure to register as he sends out updated parts occasionally.

-kincade

Old 08-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

On my wish list

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #6
Chipster27
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This thread inspired me to buy Marks. I was going to build one and may modify Marks, but once I use it I'll see if I really need to do anything with it. Thanks for the links and feedback!

Old 08-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

So how would this work with one of the speidel 30L fermentors? I'm guessing it would be ok as the mouth is narrower than a bucket but wider than a carboy.

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 08-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

I'll throw in my .02 cents. I bought the Marks keg washer a year or more ago. I was a bit disappointed that the unit does not have side holes in the main tube to spray the sides ond neck of the carboy where most of your krausen accumulates. You could modify the main tube by drilling hols, but the water volume is a bit lower than I would like to add additional discharge points. I'm sure it eventually gets all the crud off with prolonged recirculation, but I didn't want to run it unattended for long periods of time.

I bought some saniclean (low foaming version of starsan) and regulated mine to a sanitizer instead of a washer. It works great in that duty. I'd like to some day build one of the ones similar to several styles written up on line. You get the advantages of a more powerful pump and being able to direct your spray on the bottles sides and neck if you so choose.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 08-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
I'll throw in my .02 cents. I bought the Marks keg washer a year or more ago. I was a bit disappointed that the unit does not have side holes in the main tube to spray the sides ond neck of the carboy where most of your krausen accumulates. You could modify the main tube by drilling hols, but the water volume is a bit lower than I would like to add additional discharge points. I'm sure it eventually gets all the crud off with prolonged recirculation, but I didn't want to run it unattended for long periods of time.

I bought some saniclean (low foaming version of starsan) and regulated mine to a sanitizer instead of a washer. It works great in that duty. I'd like to some day build one of the ones similar to several styles written up on line. You get the advantages of a more powerful pump and being able to direct your spray on the bottles sides and neck if you so choose.
I've never had my Kegwasher not get the krausen off. With the top discharge, every part of the interior is covered in cleaning solution. Is it possible the inlet flow adjustment on yours was turned down?

Even after 10-15 minutes 99% of the krausen and buildup is gone from my carboys. I usually recirc PBW for 15-20 minutes, then rinse. I also use mine to sanitize using Iodaphor.

-kincade

Old 08-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
So how would this work with one of the speidel 30L fermentors? I'm guessing it would be ok as the mouth is narrower than a bucket but wider than a carboy.
Email Mark and ask him! I'm sure he could measure it out for you.

-kincade

Quick Reply