Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Which keg to use for boil pot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I should clarify... if making the coors keg the mash tun is primarily motivated by its inability to have a sight glass, I wanted to mention that a sight glass works just fine on the coors. I'd much rather use it as an HLT. For one thing, the shape is not ideal for a laminar flow down through the grain bed. It also requires a slightly different size false bottom. It would work fine for a boil kettle as well. This is not a sales pitch or endorsement for the benefits of a sight glass. You can brew without it obviously.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #12
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I wasn't implying that you had ulterior motives earlier... Just that you know how to make the setups to allow people to have sight tubes on those kegs.

I've seen people use H&S kegs for the boil before. Not that I would do so, since you have to plug the side hole for one thing.

Personally, I like having all straight sided kegs. Makes things much easier.

Now, when is the OP going to polish those bad Larry's UP?!?!?!?!!

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Agreed... I'd head to the scrap yard to exchange the coors for another straight sided. I was going to say that originally but people get bent when the question isn't addressed as if in a vacuum.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Agreed... I'd head to the scrap yard to exchange the coors for another straight sided. I was going to say that originally but people get bent when the question isn't addressed as if in a vacuum.
If the top is still intact, I'd convert it into a fermenter and get another straight side for the brewing process.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #15
starsman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for all the input. My lhbs guy thinks the coors one is no good for mash tun. It's going to be the boil pot. The one on the other end will be the hlt. I may look for another one for mlt because it's in the worst shape. I probably won't polish any of them. I have a sandblaster and I like that look. As usual great help from the forums.

You don't understand the power of the dark side beer.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #16
jasonsbeer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
the shape is not ideal for a laminar flow down through the grain bed. It also requires a slightly different size false bottom.
Great points. I missed the forest for the trees on that one.

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #17
jasonsbeer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
+1 to civility

/RANT/

There are a few people at HBT that jump all over others when they see something they disagree with, like beating the ugly step child. I've been on the receiving end of that in other threads. This is really bad for open and honest discussion, which is how people learn and grow. I hope I don't come across like that.

/RANTOFF/

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #18
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsman20 View Post
Thanks for all the input. My lhbs guy thinks the coors one is no good for mash tun. It's going to be the boil pot. The one on the other end will be the hlt. I may look for another one for mlt because it's in the worst shape. I probably won't polish any of them. I have a sandblaster and I like that look. As usual great help from the forums.
I'd still make the Coors one the HLT. Why waste the nice one on the right for that? You can also wrap the MLT with some insulating material so that you have little (if any) temperature loss during the mash. I ended up using a carbon fiber welders blanket on mine. A single layer does a lot, when you're above about 40F for the ambient temperature.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 01-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #19
starsman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bargain fittings order arrived today. Made the order on the 2nd. Really fast delivery. These are for boil pot and hlt plus fittings for 4 hoses.

image-321023086.jpg  

You don't understand the power of the dark side beer.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
BeerguyNC61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Stars
How did you get the tops of the kegs cut off so close to the rim?
Thanks

Quick Reply