Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Keg storage w/beer inside.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
Gregg Meyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Keg storage w/beer inside.

I have a fridge in the garage, the fridge has a molded floor that has an angle that prevents me from storing only two 5 gal kegs. One is for beer and another is for kids rootbeer. i am a nice dad and make rootbeer for my kids. I have been told to never use the rootbeer keg for reular beer or the beer will taste like rootbeer.
Can I brew some beer and keg it to a keg, place some c02 on it and store it next to the fridge not cooling but really 'on deck" as it were? Is this really dumb?

I have been considering, the modification of the back wall of the refridgerator to take out the angled back wall, which would give me back room for maybe 4 kegs within, plus the C02 tank and manifold. Has anyone ever carved on a perfectly good refridgerator?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Several brewers have noted that you can keg a brew and leave at room temp for 3-4 months. Prime or add a little gas to make sure the lid is sealed.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:22 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

IMHO running out of homebrew is worse. Keep the standby brew in a cool spot & it will be fine.

As far as cutting fridges up, putting in floors, drilling big holes, etc., yes, many people have done that. But, make certain that angled wall isn't coils or compressor.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-14-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
D*Bo
Recipes 

I built a shelf in the back.

Getting the correct angles was a pain using an angle finder, protracter, and cutting with a circular saw on 1x2.

Drinking Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Dry Mead)
Up NextScottish ale and Dopple Bock

Always ready for the wack snack attack, I carry sandwiches around in a straight edge style JanSports backpack.

Support your local businesses

Old 01-15-2007, 03:03 AM   #5
Gregg Meyer

Recipes 

Yep the shelf thing is next. Is that fridge pretty large? Mine is not deep enough for keg and carboys. Even with a shelf mine won't do what is in your pic. Could you
measure your inside depth, front to back?

I will do the same and we can compare, mine measures 23 inches and then I have to subtract 7 inches from that due to the door shelves that reach into the space from the door. so i have a whopping 16 inches front to back to work with. I guess I could remove/cut the door shelves but geez, that would really hillbilly that sucker up wouldn't it. My wife would love that. Yikes.

Quick Reply