Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Keg Pasties

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 01:19 AM   #1
Kegerator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Keg Pasties

I invented a part that fits on top of a corny keg, that allows you to use it as a fermenter. I have heard about a lot of injuries from people breaking glass carboys, and I have seen a lot of ways to use a corny keg as a fermenter, that almost work, or cost a lot, or are hard to clean. I figured there had to be a better way, and if I came up with the idea, I could make brewing a little safer, and a little easier.

My idea was a rubber tube that would be big enough on one end fit tightly over the nipple of a corny keg, and small enough to hold an airlock on the other end. The only rub is you need to remove the poppet valve from the nipple. But I assume most people who use corny kegs do that all the time to clean them.

I have spent a lot of time and money on making prototypes to test to come up with a working model, and doing all of the things needed to get a patent. I am currently making them by hand out of food grade silicone rubber, which is very expensive, and time consuming because the food grade silicone rubber takes 24 hours to set, and the raw material to make the silicone rubber is very expensive, and the cost involved with making molds gets high too.

I think I have found an inexpensive and easy way to use a corny keg as a fermenter with out the normal problems of being hard to clean, taking a lot of parts/money, having an air leak, or taking up more floor space.

What do you think, does my product sound marketable? Or am I just wasting my time and money?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2007, 01:22 AM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If people can build it, they more than likely won't buy it, I am not sure about how much volume you will be able to move in the homebrewing realm. There have been several posts here detailing how to build such a fermentor.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Are you aware of this?
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=6120

Despite the fact that that's been commercially available for quite some time now, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who uses them. That little kit is more expensive than what you're proposing, but I don't think price is the main object.

Most of us want to ferment 5-gallon batches, and in a 5-gallon keg you simply do not have enough headspace to act as a primary fermenter, unless you use foam control in which case you have to be careful to always use enough. Even avoiding glass carboys, people can still use plastic buckets, plastic carboys, conicals, etc for primary fermenters with enough headspace.

And in the case of using a keg as a secondary, usually there's no harm in just leaving the keg sealed - what little additional fermentation may take place will only serve to help carbonate the beer.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I tried to post just that yesterday but ran into some errors on here... UM, yeah, most brew 5 gallon batches and a 5 gallon fermentor would not suffice

Old 11-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with the previous two posts. Fermenting 5 gallon batches in a 5 gallon vessel is not marketable to homebrewers. At least 1 gallon of headspace is needed.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'm afraid you've completely wasted time and money. I don't know of anyone that is particularly interested in brewing 4 or 4.5 gallon batches which is the maximum appropriate for a corny keg. In any case, it's so easy to DIY a blowoff for a corny that you're solving a problem that doesn't exist.

A solution is only markettable when it's either too difficult or costly for each user to DIY. We're talking about shoving a piece of hose onto a corny post and slinging it into a jug of water. Even if you want to use a traditional bubbler, you can simply use a couple short pieces of PVC tubing shoved inside each other to reduce down to airlock size. Maybe someone would buy this one piece deal if it was about $1.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, when you first posted this, and linked to your website, I tried to suggest that you get a vendor's license before you pimp your wares on HBT, but the thread got deleted before I could hit "post". It seems that one of the mods corrected you, so that's fine. Others have hit on the major points, but I still wanna know: on your website, it says "save $300!". How exactly do you do that? A better bottle costs $23 or so. I'd have a buy about a dozen better bottles to spend $300. What on earth are you talking about?

Also, just a suggestion: "Keg Pasties" is a strange name. It conjures up images of paste, or pasty-white skin, or something.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Also, just a suggestion: "Keg Pasties" is a strange name. It conjures up images of paste, or pasty-white skin, or something.
That's REALLY the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word "pasties"?

I'm going to suggest that you do a Google image search on that term, and that you don't do it at work...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #9
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Agreed as per Bobby_M. I would only see this as being a throw in to help sell a bigger package of equipment. It's just to easy to do as above.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #10
Kegerator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thank you all for the input. I have been using them for a couple of years now. And I found them easy to use, and I am not losing a ton of beer, I may lose a pint or two from most brews. I had one very active brew where I lost the better part of a gallon. I have used them as all in one, where I ferment and server, I just cut a couple of inches off the bottom of the dip tube, and it is the ultimate in lazy. I fermented and served out of the same corny.

The name Keg Pasties are because they go over the nipples of the keg, if you have more questions Google will help you.

Where I do see the best use is in lagering and aging. In those cases you I think Keg Pasties work great because they do not take up any more floor space, they are easy to clean, they make an air tight connection to the bubbler, and they allow you all the benefits of fermenting in Stainless Steel with out spending hundreds of dollars on a Stainless Steel fermenter. And they are made out of a Food Grade material so you don't have to worry about long term exposer to the beer, wine, mead...

Quick Reply