New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Keg Fermenter Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
aekdbbop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Keg Fermenter Kit?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6120

Just found this, anyone use one of these? a good idea? thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I'm going to start using cornies for secondaries, but I just don't think a 5 gallon corney is a good idea as a primary unless you scale back the recipe by a gallon.

And honestly, you can build someting similar for less money. Really, all you need is the gas coupler and some hose to make a blow off tube.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

yeah you are probably right, it looked kinda expensive for what it was..

Old 12-02-2006, 04:01 AM   #4
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Another thing about corneys is that they only hold 19Litres, which is a) too small and b) an odd size. Or so I found.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:10 AM   #5
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not all cornies only hold 19 liters. Some hold 25...

I've been giving a lot of thought to this 6.6 gallon modified corny fermenter. It's pretty affordable, all things considered.

It's is one of the cool items I routinely drool over from SABCO. The one thing that has been holding me back is that I really want to move up to larger batches, 10 to 20 gallons, and I'm not sure I want to split batches into multiple fermentation vessels when I do. I might just need one of those 24 or 27 gallon conicals. Then I look at the price of the big conicals again and reality sinks in.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Cornies make great secondaries for mead and ciders & for lagering, but there just isn't enough head room in a standard one for fermentation. It would probably be cheaper to graft an airlock onto a gas fitting. That would also make it portable. Or you could just run a tube from the gas connector down to a bowl of sanitizer.

If you are handy with a torch, hoppers

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 12-02-2006 at 01:56 PM.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
Not all cornies only hold 19 liters. Some hold 25...

I've been giving a lot of thought to this 6.6 gallon modified corny fermenter. It's pretty affordable, all things considered.

It's is one of the cool items I routinely drool over from SABCO. The one thing that has been holding me back is that I really want to move up to larger batches, 10 to 20 gallons, and I'm not sure I want to split batches into multiple fermentation vessels when I do. I might just need one of those 24 or 27 gallon conicals. Then I look at the price of the big conicals again and reality sinks in.
$150 for a fermenter? Nah, I don't think so. I'm thinking about cornies to replace carboys for secondaries, but I can't justify paying that much for a primary fermenter. I know it's high quality stuff, but SABCO's stuff seems SO expensive...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
runhard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is another instance where I wish I could TIG weld like Yuri, Todd, or any of you other TIG-abled DIYers. $32.00 *2 for 5 gallon Cornelius kegs a $49.99 *2 racking arm the cut those kegs and piece together using a 10 inch spacer made from a damaged keg ($15) and have two 7 gallon fermenters for a little more than SABCO's design. I really need to gain access to a TIG welder at a community college and take a few evening classes. Heck, maybe the instructor would allow me to make these as a project as long as I promise to share the first batch with the class!

Old 12-06-2006, 04:53 AM   #9
frothy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a corny as the 2ndary fermentor & it's very useful.
This way you can keep the beer in the same keg to drink from. You can add finings if you want and when it's time to keg you can just blow off the yeast sediment in the first pint that comes out. In no time your ready to pressurise & mature. Dry hopping is not a problem if you keep them in a bag.
As mentioned before just use a gas connect & a blowoff tube. The corny really isn't suitable as a primary because the beer froths up too much & will make a hard to clean mess of the inside of your corny.

Matt

On Tap: IPA, Bits & Bobs Porter, Mill Run Stout

Last edited by frothy; 12-06-2006 at 05:00 AM.

Quick Reply