Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Keg/Carboy Washer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #71
-MG-
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm considering building a similar idea, but trying to see if I can contain the entire setup in my 14" deep stainless sink bowl. I just bought the McMaster plastic sprayball that I intend to use.

I'll probably just build a platform out of cpvc with the quick disconnects as well. This way everything gets cleaned and hopefully contains everything in the sink bowl.

I'm still a little nervous about these pumps that people are using. Most say they aren't rated for about 77 F water, yet I don't think that's been a problem and sounds like the pumps actually heat up the water as well. I'm considering this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-horse...html?hftref=cj

I like it for the stainless steel housing.

Final question: are people just recirculating their cleaning solution into multiple kegs? Does it matter that trub and yeast will dirty the cleaning water for the next keg?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #72
-MG-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just went to harbor freight and picked up this pump:

http://www.harborfreight.com/35-hors...tch-69298.html

The box says 21 PSI on the outside. There were other versions, including the one I linked above but it was only 8 PSI.

I also just got my mcmaster plastic spray ball, this thing is tiny! Off to the hardware store to put together my fittings.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #73
Brian4x4
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MG- View Post
I just went to harbor freight and picked up this pump:

http://www.harborfreight.com/35-hors...tch-69298.html

The box says 21 PSI on the outside. There were other versions, including the one I linked above but it was only 8 PSI.

I also just got my mcmaster plastic spray ball, this thing is tiny! Off to the hardware store to put together my fittings.
I have that same pump!
Mine works great! 25gpm I think it calculated out to. I got it for 30 bucks with a coupon.
Tip for any doing this, use the smallest tube you can like 1/2" pvc so the water can drain out fastest. Also drill small holes not large. I fould 1/8th was too large and pumped too much water into the bottle and it pools at bottom.
use less holes as well.
4-5 on top then a row of small holes around where the fermenting line is.

The thing has some force and it like a pressure washer. I don't have to leave mine on for more than 5-10 min and all clean using PBW.
oxi clean foams too much.
dishwasher soap even worked for me before I bought the PBW cleaner.

my total build cost was about 40$ and I would recommend this project to anyone!
great idea.
I still need to adapt mine to have the keg hose hookups.(cut the PVC and put them in someday)

Here are the 2 wands I made so far. I am going to make a third 1 with smaller holes and less of them like I said.

little video of mine in action..(old video with the 1st tube I made out of 3/4" PVC. I don't have a new video of other one running. it is the same thing pretty much. lol) you can hear the pressure!

washing my keg fermentor.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:06 AM   #74
kenyabob
Recipes 

I cannot seem to be able to find the male thread to 1/4 barb nylon pieces anywhere in town. I've found a few them in brass at plumbing shops for 4 dollars a piece, and on amazon for about the same price in plastic, but for a 10 pack. Anyone with leads where I can find the barb fitting to let the washer hook up to the quick disconnects?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #75
HawkATP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I gave up using this set up for cleaning my kegs because it just wasn't cleaning the krausen ring on my sanke keg fermenter. I've been using the carboy cleaner for kegs from http://www.carboycleaner.com/. It works great, a lot less work too.

Last edited by HawkATP; 04-24-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #76
Brian4x4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkATP View Post
I gave up using this set up for cleaning my kegs because it just wasn't cleaning the krausen ring on my sanke keg fermenter. I've been using the carboy cleaner for kegs from http://www.carboycleaner.com/. It works great, a lot less work too.
hahaha funny thing is I use this and that as well. I hook my drill up and spin it all up then spray it then spin it again then finish with another spray. sooooo easy. no hassle clean in less than 10 min.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 AM   #77
Brian4x4
Recipes 

my mistake the brush I use is not that one. (that one cost to much) this one I found cheaper and works just as good. (and is softer)

Old 04-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #78
Brian4x4
Recipes 

this is what I use. Works much better now that I drilled smaller holes in the tube.
watch the end when it drains lightning fast.
its a carboy pressure washer now!

Had a little trouble with one spot but it's because I was watching it, if I just let it go it would have gone away.
but that is why I use my drill and spin scrubber as well then back to the washer...

Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #79
davidgsmit
Smithaus Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Two things regarding this build after having built mine today;

Probably the best size drill bit for this project is a 1/16th bit. I have 9 holes on the top that are 1/16th and another 8 in the shaft (to clean around the neck of the carboy) that are 5/32 in size. I wish i had made these 1/16 as well as i'm getting just a bit more water than my carboy can drain with the 1/2 inch pvc line. In other words i think it could handle 8 holes in the pvc neck/line and 9 up top for a total of 17 1/16 holes. I have this hooked up to the 1/6hp pump from harbor freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/16-hors...ump-68422.html) that puts out 1350 gph. I get quite a bit of pressure with this setup.

Second; can somebody tell me the brand name of the low-foaming oxyclean?? I bought the stuff at my dollar store as was mentioned on this thread, but i suspect it isn't the same stuff as mine has been foaming too much. Once it foams up a bit the holes in the shaft stop wirking as the water starts collecting in the carboy. The foam doesnt seem to be an issue till you actually get some crud mixed in the water, them the foam starts to form. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:26 AM   #80
J-Pizzel
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Aaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhh! Heard a crash, initially thought it was the cat. Nope, gravity strikes again! I think it got a lil top heavy and nature took its course. What sucks is another 6 gal carboy met the same fate about 30 minutes prior after rolling about a foot on the cement, didn't hit anything, it just decided to implode or something....

image-2178777555.jpg  

Quick Reply