Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Keg/Carboy Washer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #51
smittygouv30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocluke

It depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you're just trying to cascade water down a carboy, then any cheap pump will do. If you're trying to achieve a strong impingement force, then you'll want to look at the PSI rating (15-30) of the pump. Flow rate (GPM or GPH) through an unrestricted hose is much less important in this scenario, which is how most of the sump pumps are quoted. If your flow rate is too high, you're going to have issues because the water/cleaning solution isn't going to flow out of the opening fast enough to recirculate, or the back pressure created by the water not draining fast enough will considerably slow down the water flow through the pump. Maybe someone else can comment on that because I don't use a sump pump in my setup. I use the pump listed here in my build.
Thanks for the reply!

What I don't want to do is just by a cheap pump to save a few bucks and then wish I had a stronger one. Neither pump gives a pressure rating on the HF website, they just refer to flow (gph). There must be a correlation to pressure though, no? If one is rated for 620 GPH and the other 1350 GPH through the same size hole, it seems it would correlate to pressure. My physics professor would be devastated that I don't recall the formulas and don't know the difference. Should I be more interested in the HP of the motor to generate more lbs/sqin?

Keg 1: The Electric S'more Stout
Keg 2: Sorachi Ace Clone
Keg 3: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Keg 4: Two-hearted Ale clone

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Lemongrass Wheat Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #52
jarrodaden
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittygouv30 View Post
Thanks for the reply!

What I don't want to do is just by a cheap pump to save a few bucks and then wish I had a stronger one. Neither pump gives a pressure rating on the HF website, they just refer to flow (gph). There must be a correlation to pressure though, no? If one is rated for 620 GPH and the other 1350 GPH through the same size hole, it seems it would correlate to pressure. My physics professor would be devastated that I don't recall the formulas and don't know the difference. Should I be more interested in the HP of the motor to generate more lbs/sqin?
My previous hobby was freshwater aquariums. I can tell you to pay close attention to the claimed flow rates of pumps. The rate of flow varies depending on how high you are lifting the water.

As an example, if you were holding the outlet waist high while the pump was in a bucket of water it might give you say 100 gallons per minute. If you moved the outlet above your head, it would probably cut the flow rate in half.

The claimed flow rate is typically associated with the "head" (number of feet you are lifting the water) during the performance testing.

In this case, you are only "lifting" the water about 3' so it should not matter that much.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #53
tracyt1800
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Other than several people mentioning that the pumps should be oilless, are these sump pumps safe for use in this manner? I would LOVE to build one of these, but I am a little concerned about the sanitizing solution picking up some chemical, plastic by product, or something else that would then get sprayed up into my kegs & carboys.

I searched for "potable water pumps" but those are several hundred dollars before you can get to a decent rate of flow.

One beer is good.
Two beers is better.
Three beers is enough.
Four beers isn't half enough.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #54
cwilliams108
Recipes 

So, decided to build one of these yesterday. Picked up this pump http://www.harborfreight.com/1-horse...oat-69300.html on sale for $49.99 and as I'm paying for it I get the "do you want to buy the warranty it's $5.99 for one year and you can get it replaced within a year regardless if anything is wrong with it or not" sold american. Ran it on 3 kegs last night 2 corneys and a sanke and it does warm the water up pretty well (I'd say 140 ish based on feel and what I know I have my water heater set at). Anyway anyone looking to build one I would recommend this pump especially given a $6 warranty that will give me peace of mind as I beat the hell out of it. As a side note yeah the pump is probably overkill but when is that ever a bad thing.

"get on with livin', or get on with dyin'" Red, The Shawshank Redemption

Old 11-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #55
HawkATP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've noticed with my keg washer that it works great on corneys, but it isn't able to break the krausen ring on my sanke fermenters. Anyone that uses sankes as fermenters had this issue? I still have to brush the inside krausen ring on the sanke to break it up.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:54 AM   #56
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
I've noticed with my keg washer that it works great on corneys, but it isn't able to break the krausen ring on my sanke fermenters. Anyone that uses sankes as fermenters had this issue? I still have to brush the inside krausen ring on the sanke to break it up.
There are a lot of variables between each person's keg washer, so it's hard to compare apples with apples, unless of course two people have the exact same setup and process. Some variables to consider changing in your system:

- are you using a nozzle/spray ball, and if so, what is it rated at and what is the coverage (e.g. 360°, 270°, etc)?
- are you using a pump with sufficient PSI for your nozzle/spray ball (they give flow rate/PSI ratings)?
- what type of cleaning solution are you using, and at what strength? If PBW, time, temperature and concentration are all factors in how well it cleans (the higher the better the job for all 3).

Try thinking on some of those variables and decide for yourself which you can change to get better results.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #57
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have a 30 gallon fermenter that I put on mine, I wasn't expecting much because normally I have to really scrub to get the krausen off. I was pretty surprised to find it cleaned almost all of it off except a few small spots.

I guess it depends on the setup, the temp of the water and the type of cleaner...

Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #58
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyt1800 View Post
Other than several people mentioning that the pumps should be oilless, are these sump pumps safe for use in this manner? I would LOVE to build one of these, but I am a little concerned about the sanitizing solution picking up some chemical, plastic by product, or something else that would then get sprayed up into my kegs & carboys.

I searched for "potable water pumps" but those are several hundred dollars before you can get to a decent rate of flow.

These are meant for a cleaning solution to be run through them, you rinse and sanitize afterword so there is nothing to worry about.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #59
kenyabob
Recipes 

Does the pump have to be a dirty water pump, or can it be any submersible pump? I'm worried a generic pump might leach nasties I dont want ending up in my beer (although I could just do a final rinse with non pumped water)

Example of a generic pump:
http://is.gd/E4wnKa

Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #60
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyabob View Post
Does the pump have to be a dirty water pump, or can it be any submersible pump? I'm worried a generic pump might leach nasties I dont want ending up in my beer (although I could just do a final rinse with non pumped water)

Example of a generic pump:
http://is.gd/E4wnKa
The pump you link to is an oilless utility pump, which shouldn't leak anything. I don't know what kind of keg cleaner you are intending to build, but if you're looking for something to cascade water down the keg, then it will work fine. If you are going to be using a spray ball/nozzle, or otherwise putting back pressure on the pump, I'd recommend going with something that is rated for restriction (a PSI rating will be given).

Quick Reply