Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Keg/Carboy Washer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
EZFrag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been trying to build one of these, but been having troubles cause our local Lowes sux. No helpful employees there. As i was purchasing the pipes, I noticed that pvc is rated for use at 79 degreess or less. CPVC is rated for hot water, but is sized different.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #22
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4614 Times on 4517 Posts
Likes Given: 2140

PVC is rated to 140 and CPVC is rated to 180 degrees F (IIRC)

Old 08-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #23
wilmh
Recipes 

After just washing my keg last night and having my wife complain about the mess in the laundry room, I'll be building one of these ASAP!

Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #24
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I made a new one of these out of copper so I can heat it in my boil kettle. It works great to keep an oxyclean mix at 160 degrees.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:15 AM   #25
cmuench
Recipes 

Is anyone using one of these to clean sankey kegs? If so can you post pics?

If the vertical tube is 1/2-3/4in pipe why would any water go up the smaller diameter tubes with the QDs on them?

Old 08-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #26
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I use sankes and built a washer for them. 1/6 hp pump and a rotating spray ball from McMaster (71445T84). That is the smallest pump I would use.

http://youtu.be/nPNThLQxxL0

Next: Heavy Hopper v2
Fermenting: RIS, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 10-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #27
millaj92
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I made one of these with a 1/4 hp submersible pump I got from Tractor Supply for $60. I use hot water right out of my sink with the PBW for washing and I know that whatever temp that is it's well over the spec of the pump, but I haven't had any problems. I was also worried about the temp of the hot water on the room temp carboys. I was thinking a gradual increase in temp would be necessary since carboys aren't tempered, but I was a little drunk and decided to try it and no problems. The water temp cools down pretty quick so that probably is a factor. I haven't ever measured temps, but if the pump heats up the water than that's even better. Of course PBW still cleans in room temp water, but I was shooting for no foam and it works great. I don't have to run it for more than a few minutes ever when cleaning carboys, kegs, or BK before they're squeaky clean, unlike a lot of people that do a 30 minute CIP. This may contribute to the life of the pump so far. They key to keep water from building up inside of the vessel you're washing is of course to use the smallest diameter pipe you can. I use 1/2" CPVC and not drill too many holes so that you're output is greater than the drain rate. Experimentation is necessary.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #28
caspio
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmuench View Post
Is anyone using one of these to clean sankey kegs? If so can you post pics?

If the vertical tube is 1/2-3/4in pipe why would any water go up the smaller diameter tubes with the QDs on them?
I actually sold the majority of my carboys and do my fermenting in two sanke kegs. I put the cross low enough so that it's just inside the bucket. That way I just rest a sanke keg inverted right on top of the bucket and it works great.

Regarding the question with the smaller lines - the cap with holes or CIP sprayball or whatever you decide to put up top creates enough backpressure to give more than adequate flow down the secondary lines. I did a test run where I forgot to put on one of the QDs (leaving a bare mfl end) and it shot cleaning water all over the garage.

Anyway I use the same cleaner for everything. Corny kegs get the QDs hooked up, and I just let the lines dangle inside the bucket when doing sanke kegs. The check valves built into the QDs keep any pressure from being wasted that direction when they're not actually hooked up.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #29
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t View Post
I use sankes and built a washer for them. 1/6 hp pump and a rotating spray ball from McMaster (71445T84). That is the smallest pump I would use.

Keg/carboy washer - YouTube
I purchased this CIP nozzle assuming that was a carboy you were washing, and therefore the nozzle would fit inside it. It doesn't fit in either my 5 or 6.5 gallon carboys. Can you help shed some light on this? Thanks.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #30
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I've used it on the older Mexican and newer Italian 6.5 gallon carboys. Some times you have to find the right spot to fit it in since the carboys don't have a perfectly round opening. You may have to shave off the molding seam around the perimeter of the spray ball.

Next: Heavy Hopper v2
Fermenting: RIS, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Quick Reply