Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Keg/Carboy Washer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
matiasek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post

Any good suggestions for high output pumps that can withstand up to 150+ degrees?
I second the question! Are people running these pumps hotter than they are spec'd for... and getting away with it? That would be good info as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #12
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So I built one of these with the harbor freight clean water sump pump. I don't preheat the water, just fill the bucket with cold hose water and add my pbw. I plug it in and let it go, and about 20 mins later the keg/carboy is sparkling and the wash water is around 100 deg. It doesn't get much warmer than that for me, but I have the black Pacific Hydrostar 98342 1/4 hp clean water pump from harbor freight in it. A couple weeks ago I washed 2 kegs and 2 carboys back to back with the same pbw water, the pump was probably running for close to 2 hours nearly continuously without a hiccup (the carboyshad some seriously nasty krausen stuck to them).

On a side note, the local dollar store has some oxyclean stuff that's dishwasher safe and foams a lot less than pbw. I noticed that my carboys had some issues running pbw because the foam didn't want to drain out, so I tried the dollar store stuff. It cleans just as well, costs less, and doesn't foam as much. I'm not sure how it would do with copper/brass, so I only use it on the carboys, but it seems to be ok so far.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 33

That's the one I just took back! The label (English side) said max 77 degrees, but the label on the French side said 95 degrees.

trigger - how long have you been using that pump?

Old 10-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #14
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think I built the thing in June or July, so not too long. If I had to guess it's got 20 individual washes on it now. I got it because it looked exactly like the one that the LHBS has in their keg washer, and theirs sees some serious usage. I can't really comment on the long term durability of mine, though.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #15
JonW

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 33

For the price, I think I'll go back and get this to one to try it out then. I was concerned about the temps, because this keg washing link ( http://www.aleiens.com/profiles/blog...and-keg-washer ) said that water at 70 degrees was heated to 130 in 90 minutes. That may just be a function of his pump though. I will routinely run mine for 90 minutes based on how many kegs I clean.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #16
matiasek
Recipes 

Caspion, which pump did you use? I am concerned about getting a pump that is not rated for the warmer temps that you use. Many pumps are not rated above 100F. Do you have a thermo stable pump or does it appear to operate at higher temps than specified for.
thanks,
Mike

Old 10-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #17
matiasek
Recipes 

For other folks following this thread; I just stumbled accross this writeup on a carboy/keg washer: http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/H...Carboy-Cleaner

he comments on the temp limitations of his pump. The specs for it are only rated up to 104 but he says the temp shutoff mech does not come on till 160F. Seems like the 130-150F range is fair game. Hope this helps others.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #18
caspio
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow, looks like this thread managed to revive itself. My apologies for not responding sooner, I've been wasting what free time I have on mountain biking forums lately.

To follow up on all the heat questions. I always filled the bucket directly from the spigot on my hot water heater. I've never bothered to measure the actual temp.

Unfortunately, my incredible laziness has finally caught up with me. On at least 4 occasions, I left the cleaner running for over a week, and on uncounted occasions it ran for 30+ hours. After a bit over a year of use and abuse, this has finally been enough to kill it. It was working fine, I unplugged it for a few days, and when I went back to use it again it was dead.

Considering how careless I was with it, I'd say it held up surprisingly well. Now I just need to figure out what pump to buy as a replacement.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #19
matiasek
Recipes 

I bought the pump described in the link I posted in #17, it is a waterace R6S 1/6 HP submersible pump. Seems like it might be up for the job based on his experience. I plan to not let it run longer than a couple hours at a time and hopefully at around 130F. I have not had a chance to use it let but I will let you know how it worked. I scored the pump on ebay for 34 bucks including shipping.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #20
FireDancer

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Carboys are not made like a Pyrex measuring cup. It might be best to heat the carboy slowly or not at all. Rapid, uneven heating can make glass crack. Especially in cold weather. My friend broke his carboy just this week by dumping in hot water from the tap (and this was in California ... not that cold out). Luckily there was no injury to him. Just something to keep in mind.

Quick Reply