New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Keeping a used keg (Iowa)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
AMERICUS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keeping a used keg (Iowa)

Okay so I really want to start piecing together a single tier brewstand and need some kegs to make the keggles. I see them on various sites, occasionally, for $50, but couldn't I just buy a keg of swill, feed the hogs and keep the keg for the $30 deposit? It seems too logical. Also in Iowa we now have to register kegs, mainly for underagers caught with a keg, so your information is in their records. I tried searching, but to no avail.

Bottled: MWS Honey Nut Brown (5/7/09)
On Deck: MWS Irish Red

Wine:
Primary: Empty
Secondary: California Trinity White
Bottled: Pinot Grigio, Cab. Sauv.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

There are dozens of threads on this. I believe the consensus is that what you're doing is known as "stealing".

The kegs are legally the property of the distributor/brewery and the $30 is an incentive for you to abide the law and bring it back. You are not purchasing the keg for $30.

Not passing moral judgment, just stating the facts as I understand them.

-Joe

Old 05-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
ClutchDude
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do us all a favor first.....Go to here and search. I'm not hoping to disassuade you or be mean, but this issue is a dead horse that can easily be solved.

Landed In Texas.
Primary 1: Blonde?(9/14/2013)
Primary 2: Empty
Sanke madness!
Sanke Spiral Ring Installing, Sanke Coupler diassembly, Keggle Heatshield, Sanke fitting to Soda kegs

Old 05-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
AMERICUS
Recipes 

I did search, but the search function only takes single words and as you would imagine "keg" is a pretty common term used around here...

I completely understand the debate of stealing after I did a google search and got a few results. The only thing that I would counter it with is why can't you return a keg after a certain date. It is "stealing" if I don't return the keg, but at some point they "confiscate" my deposit...irony....

Wine:

Old 05-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICUS View Post
I completely understand the debate of stealing after I did a google search and got a few results. The only thing that I would counter it with is why can't you return a keg after a certain date. It is "stealing" if I don't return the keg, but at some point they "confiscate" my deposit...irony....
I don't think it's ironic at all. If you keep the keg longer than their specified time they lose money, as they need kegs for other people. So they keep your deposit. You still have kept and stolen their property.

-Joe

Old 05-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
SchizoFilly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Keggle - Home Brewing Wiki

Old 05-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I did search, but the search function only takes single words and as you would imagine "keg" is a pretty common term used around here...
Not sure this is entirely correct. I search using multiple words all the time and don't have an issue with it. For example, searching Keg Ethics brings up a bunch of the threads on the subject.

As you can imagine by now, it's a pretty touchy subject on the boards. If you're looking for a legit way of purchasing a used keg try contacting local breweries and asking if they have any they are retiring. That's how I got mine.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
AMERICUS
Recipes 

Yeah I was typing "keeping a keg deposit" hoping to trigger something. After digging through a few threads, I found links to the heart of the ethics. I am actually good friends with the owner of a bar here in town and will talk to her and see what she does when kegs are rejected. Probably get it for less than the deposit I would pay for swill anyways.

Wine:

Old 05-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3041 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Yeah I was typing "keeping a keg deposit" hoping to trigger something. After digging through a few threads, I found links to the heart of the ethics. I am actually good friends with the owner of a bar here in town and will talk to her and see what she does when kegs are rejected. Probably get it for less than the deposit I would pay for swill anyways.
That's a good plan. Orphan kegs need good homes too.

Another option is to call your local distributor and see what they have available.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'll play.
From corresponding with AB, this is how the system works, as near as I can figure.
So, AB, Coors, Miller has X number of kegs built by Company A. After some period of time, presuming they aren't wrecked during normal service, they are inspected. At some point, someone decides that it is time to replace the keg. They sell it to a third party vendor, (e.g. Sabco). Said Vendor refurbishes the keg, makes the mods and sells them used ~$130.00.
I've read a lot of threads around this and most of the people say that it cost much more than $30.00 for AB to buy the keg. But, I've never seen anyone that really knows, post a price. Is this a fact or an opinion? Let's do the math.
I was paying $1.00 a pound for scrap 300 series steel. (I realize that they don't use scrap I am only using that for a starting point). So, a keg weighs ~ 27 - 30lbs
The Welders on here vary the price a lot but the quotes I got said from $20 to $70.
Couplings off eBay for 10, $15, so for 2 $3.00.
For a rough total of $75
Now, everyone in the chain has to make a living, so what's the mark up? I would like for someone "in the business" of dealing with the keg industry step in and give us a price. I am not advocating keeping kegs. I just want to know the facts. That will give us all a better bargaining position.
As we are all aware, this board is notorious for stating belief as fact and on occasion, attacking different/new ideas. If someone has posted a price, I appologize for missing it, but apparently, several others did too, and maybe it can be reposted. Let's frolic - Dwain

Quick Reply