Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Keeping Thermometers in while you brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
murppie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keeping Thermometers in while you brew

Hey all. I was wondering about keeping thermometers in while you brew. I was given a $10 from Northern Brewer (I returned it because of super poor reviews on the website) but on the packaging it specified not to keep it in aside from to take a reading. I was wondering with some pots like this one http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...ewmometer.html where there is an included thermometer if it is bad for it? I currently just use a floating thermometer so its not an issue yet, but I was wondering for the future.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The only place you would do this and see it is in the brewkettle. If the water is boiling it is about 212deg. If it is not boiling it is under 212 deg. If there are a lot of small bubbles and turbulence the water is approaching 212 deg. Why keep a thermometer floating in it? It seems like just one more thing to go wrong. There are enough things to go wrong without adding extra. I have a long probe thermometer I use by hand and a laser thermometer for quick checks. I own a floating thermometer that I have never used because I can't bring myself to float a glass bulb in my wort.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

no real reason to have a thermometer in the wort but it won't hurt of course.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
VampireSix
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wouldn't leave a floating thermometer in a brew pot in case it breaks. However, I have one that clips to the side of the brew kettle (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/dial-thermometer.html). I leave this in from when I start heating up my water until I dump the wort into the primary.

On another note... water boils at different temperatures based on elevation above sea level. 212 degrees F is for sea level. For San Antonio, elevation of 772 feet above sea level, water boils at 210.5.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 47

That is why I said if it is boiling it is "about 212 deg." I am perfectly aware of the effect of elevation. If it is not boiling you can be sure it is under 212 and if there are lots of bubbles and turbulence it is approaching 212. My points were accurate.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
VampireSix
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Your second post is still as confusing as your first one.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
Vigo_Carpathian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Wort has a higher boiling point than water.

Quick Reply