The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Just used my Bayou Classic SP10!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
boneshb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Just used my Bayou Classic SP10!

Hey all,
So I just used my Bayou Classic SP10 for the first time, well, the second time. The first time I got high burning the paint off of it. Anyway, I was able to boil 6 gallons in 18mins 58seconds (I timed it on my phone).
Its great for heating, just lacks a control of sorts, its on or its off, but i guess that can be worked around, especially after I got it for $30 (I may or may not have a hook up)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
JMSetzler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

A friend of mine got one of those and we have brewed with it a few times and it seems to work well. His will control the burner just fine... not sure what sort of problem you might be having there.

My hurricane burner just arrived today and it looks like this burner might have a more difficult time controlling the level of heat, but we'll see.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
boneshb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am able to control the flame better now, not sure why I didn't adjust the air intake before, but between that and the gas flow I think I got it down. Let us know how the hurricane works for ya

Old 01-23-2010, 03:32 AM   #4
JMSetzler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I fired up the hurricane for a bit earlier just to burn a little of the paint off. It's really quiet. Since it's not making a lot of noise like my other high pressure burner, it makes me THINK that it's not putting out as much heat, but I'm sure it is with the size of the thing.. it's a monster... I hope to brew with it either Sunday or Monday...

Old 01-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
adx

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I have an SQ14 because of the bigger stand. However, I think it's the same burner as the SP10. I've found that once it's dialed in it puts out pretty good heat and doesn't really eat propane too badly. Overall, I'm happy with the choice.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
HickoryMike
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've done 2 brews on the SP10 and this burner has surpassed my low expectations (how much can you expect for $35, right?). The hose that came with my burner has a valve on it to control the flame easily. The burner boils 7 gallons easily and doesn't eat propane. I have run the burner 4 times (burned off paint, boiloff test, 2 brew days) and I still have a little propane in the tank (and it's a blue rhino tank that are notorious for not being filled all the way).

I highly recommend this burner for those of us that don't have high levels of disposable income.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got the larger version of that burner (kab4) and it's a pig. Good flame control but it can eat some propane. It uses less than the cone shaped burner it replaced, though, because the heat is more evenly spread with more but shorter flames. It's alo quieter, but very heavy. I think the burner on the sp10 is probably ideal unless you do really big batches.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #8
boneshb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have just loved this burner so far. It sounds like a jet engine in the distance, but what is a little noise? I was able to dial the gas in and now cant complain at all about it. The paint is mostly burned off the burner now and the smell is all gone.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:42 PM   #9
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It's a great burner. Combined with a 1500 Watt heatstick, it's amazing.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #10
Firebelly
Recipes 

I just got mine and was about to fire it up when I saw that there is no air control shutter. The instructions seem to indicate that this part is very important. Does anyone know if it's safe to use without the shutter??

Quick Reply