Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Just thinking out loud here- 50gal self-cleaning fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #21
jpuf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

brilliant!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #22
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
No more debating about batch or fly sparging...

CENTRIFUGAL SPARGING!
Use the delicates cycle to avoid HSA.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 06-26-2007, 01:46 AM   #23
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

All this talk on how are you going to get it clean.... just put in a cup or 2 of dishsoap, fill it up, turn it on and let it sit overnight! If your not sure it's clean from that do it again. I have had my blowoff tube in a 6.5 gallon carboy clogged on a slightly less than 5 gallon batch and I diddn't have to even insert my carboy brush to get ALL that gunk off. That one took 2 applications of dishsoap and a longer soak time. 2 nights instead of one. SCREW scrubbing, fill'er up and forget. I'm not sure how to get the gunk out of the bottom, the rust/sand/etc... to begin with, but once it is out of there I think it is a KILLER idea. I have come to believe that there are alot of people who won't think outside the box. I hope someday they stop being closeminded and think innovatively. Although some of the arguements are valid. I know someone who got a REALLLLLLY old hot water heater and converted it to a fermenter. The tank was glass though. To clean it they just used some powdered cleaner. I wasn't homebrewing at that time (I was 15, but wanted to, LOL!!) so I diddn't pay attention to what it was that they used to clean it, i just know it was powdered something. I was more interested in the hardware and the finished product. (I got a small taste, it was killer, my dad thought it sucked. He also likes Old Milwauke Light.... which begs the question...) Anyhow, I LOVE this idea. I think it is one of the better ones i've seen in a long time. On a side note, I have seen someone that used a tiny hot water heater as the boil pot or whatever it's called, for a Still. They had a ranco controller hooked up to it to keep the temp at whatever it needs to be at to do the job. There's some out of the box thinking. It worked better than any stainless steel pot on a propane burner set up that I could think of.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 06-27-2007, 03:17 AM   #24
East Mountain Brewer
Recipes 

Consider active cooling since water heaters are insulated to retain heat. The bigger the batch the more heat to disapate. Fermentations are exothermic so unless you add a coil and a chiller unit, you will have a huge batch of estery solvent. Hot water heaters can work for a HLT but a fermenter seems like a bit of a stretch.
Cheers,
EMB

Old 06-27-2007, 12:24 PM   #25
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That's one KILLER HLT!!!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 06-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #26
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuf
You could use a front loading washing machine for a MLT. Now we're thinkin outside the box!
I've been thinking about that too.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #27
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default h2o htr

ALL cheap h2O htrs have Glass liners, however, you can get a non-glass lined stainless tank for about $800-1000. I'm with the rest though, you can't see inside the htr very well/at all, how are you gonna know if you get all the nasties out from fermentation?

Corrupt Brewers

Old 06-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #28
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
http://home.howstuffworks.com/water-heater1.htm

I guess when that cracks...rust.
I believe the rust and junk that collects in a hot water tank comes from the pipes feeding it. If it was the tank you would soon have a leak in the tank. Still have the same difficulty of cleaning the tank initially.
As for cleaning after a ferment, an overnight application of PBW followed by a sanitation heat cycle should prevent and infections. Unlike using a liquid sanitizer, a long application of heat will kill even if the bugs are hiding under something. Still I would feel much better if I could see how clean it was.
I think even Home Depot has smaller tanks. I know 25 and 30 gal tanks are common. There are also several point of use hot water heaters that have 2-5 gal sizes. However you probably won't see much in between these sizes as a smaller tank would be too small for a shower and over sized for point of use.

Craig

Quick Reply