New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is it just me, or do hop spiders just suck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Is it just me, or do hop spiders just suck?

I built a stainless hop spider a few months back and have used it on maybe 6 batches so far.
Honestly, it's driven me to the point where I just ordered a jaybird false bottom for my BK to do away with it and just use loose hops

Every brew I do with it, the thing gets so clogged with all the break material that when I'm emptying my kettle through my CFC, the hop bag stays suspended full of boiling wort. I end up have to put my gloves on and flip the bag over to drain the wort that's trapped in there.
Certainly I can't be getting great hop utilization when liquid can't even flow through the bag! I used to just use loose hop bags and never seemed to notice this problem. they would get clogged, but would always drain when I picked them up.

Am I the only one noticing this? Not sure that I've seen anyone else mention this problem with them...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2671 Times on 1719 Posts
Likes Given: 2184

Mine does that, but it's not a problem for me. Takes a couple of minutes to drain.

Eyes closed, we imagined our pain as a ball of white healing light floating around our feet and rising to our knees, our waist, our chest. Our chakras opening. The heart chakra. The head chakra. Chloe talked us into caves where we meet our power animal. Mine was a penguin.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
krazydave
Recipes 

Mine seems to actually clog up enough to the point where my kettle will drain faster than the hop spider does, which means at that point I've already lost the prime on my pump.
At this point I'm just hoping that the false bottom that I ordered will let me just use loose pellet hops without completely clogging everything up.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I've started skipping the hop spider until right at the end of the boil and then recirculate through it. It catches most of the hops and I don't have to worry about utilization.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2671 Times on 1719 Posts
Likes Given: 2184

Do either of you guys use a plate chiller?

I'm scared to death of clogging that thing. I like your idea, Spartan. I might try that!

Eyes closed, we imagined our pain as a ball of white healing light floating around our feet and rising to our knees, our waist, our chest. Our chakras opening. The heart chakra. The head chakra. Chloe talked us into caves where we meet our power animal. Mine was a penguin.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
krazydave
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan1979 View Post
I've started skipping the hop spider until right at the end of the boil and then recirculate through it. It catches most of the hops and I don't have to worry about utilization.
I haven't tried just throwing it in at the end. I might have to if I decide to use it again. I did recirculate into it at the end though to sanitize my CFC. I figured that I may as well try to get some hot wort flowing through the hops in there in an attempt to get a little better utilization.
On the beers I've made using the hop spider that call for 0 min hops, I've just been throwing those late hops directly into the kettle and whirlpooling it to try and keep whatever I can out of the fermenter.
At least that way I still get all of the aroma from them.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
krazydave
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Do either of you guys use a plate chiller?

I'm scared to death of clogging that thing. I like your idea, Spartan. I might try that!
I use a CFC, because clogging a plate chiller scared me also. Though I do know many people that love their plate chillers and never clog them. I think it's kind of an apples vs. oranges thing.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan1979 View Post
Any more specifics on this? Are you whirlpooling first? Any screen in the kettle? How's the pump hold up with all the hops going through it?

My hop spider has been working fairly well, but I always worry about utilization and I've been thinking of trying similar to what you describe.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/single-tier-3-pump-bcs-462-automated-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hacking-bcs-add-customized-web-pages-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upright-keezer-8-taps-11-kegs-371438/

Old 08-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Beavdowg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I switched to a 30 plate chiller about a year ago and have never clogged it (knock on wood). Know what I use? Simple. I use a copper wire to tie a copper scrubby around the end of my pick-up tube in the bottom of my keggle. I got this from a buddy of mine. I use whole hops almost exclusively, but I've also tried some pellet hops, and have never, not once, clogged my plate chiller. It's super cheap and works great!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
krazydave
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavdowg View Post
I switched to a 30 plate chiller about a year ago and have never clogged it (knock on wood). Know what I use? Simple. I use a copper wire to tie a copper scrubby around the end of my pick-up tube in the bottom of my keggle. I got this from a buddy of mine. I use whole hops almost exclusively, but I've also tried some pellet hops, and have never, not once, clogged my plate chiller. It's super cheap and works great!
I've been using the copper scrubby in mine also, but I've recently been trying to get away from that method since the copper seems to turn black and where it touches the bottom of my kettle is always black as well. Also, when it's boiling, I notice that a lot of the boiling action is coming from the scrubby.
All that just makes me think that it's acting like the anode in my keggle and it concerns me that I might be dissolving more copper than I want into my beer.

Quick Reply