Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Just how bad ass is Star San?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 02:40 AM   #1
sidboswell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Just how bad ass is Star San?

I was cleaning old bottles last night. I found several unopened beers from 2005 or older. The three beers I've opened and tasted weren't actually all that bad considering they were 6 years or older. There was a Belgian Double which was actually OK (close to style at least), and 2 APAs which were single hop test brews (one with Amarillo and another with Simcoe which were both "new" to the homeberw scene back then). They all had oxidation, but were drinkable.

However, the inside of the bottles is cloudy with what I'm assuming is a very fine layer of yeast that didn't come clean with the typical kitchen sink rinse and shake.

I'm currently cleaning bottles for a bottle day on Saturday and am wondering if the a 2 minute soak in Star San before hanging on the bottle tree is adequate or if I should brush them out. I'm asking as I've noticed a lot of my bottles have this haze at the liquid level that I don't recall from the past....I also haven't bottled in over three years and can't find my bottle brush and my LHBS is not on the way anywhere I'm heading tomorrow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 02:43 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Starsan is the Chuck Norris of sanitizers.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Chuck Norris is the Star San of B movies.

...and you can't really sanitize a dirty bottle. Get it squeaky, sparkling clean, then apply Star San.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

I just read one of those darn "Chuck Norris is so bad he....." websites and couldn't find one that I could easily replace his name with starsan and have it make any sense.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-26-2011, 02:56 AM   #5
aNYbrewery
a New York brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There is no chin behind star sans beard. There is only another fist.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:01 AM   #6
Brewham
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Star San is a sanitizer - not a cleaner. You need a cleaner to get out the gunk. PBW, Oxyclean and others

Old 08-26-2011, 03:08 AM   #7
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Soak in Oxyclean or PBW for a few days. That will clear up any gunk. then rinse well and use star-san to sanitize.

Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 08-26-2011, 03:30 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidboswell View Post

However, the inside of the bottles is cloudy with what I'm assuming is a very fine layer of yeast that didn't come clean with the typical kitchen sink rinse and shake.

I'm currently cleaning bottles for a bottle day on Saturday and am wondering if the a 2 minute soak in Star San before hanging on the bottle tree is adequate or if I should brush them out. I'm asking as I've noticed a lot of my bottles have this haze at the liquid level that I don't recall from the past....I also haven't bottled in over three years and can't find my bottle brush and my LHBS is not on the way anywhere I'm heading tomorrow.
We call it scale, it's really common, it's just residue from the oxyclean as the water it's soaking in evaporates or reacting with minerals in the water. Usually a weak acid solution like vinegar and water, lemon juice and water, even a dillution of starsan and water usually breaks it down. Or lots of rinsing. It's really fine.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:56 AM   #9
Reidman
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 1 Posts

Seems like I'm the only one here who still uses iodophor...is star-san much better than that? I haven't had any sanitization issues to date using the iodine but am always willing to change if it produces better results.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:59 AM   #10
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidman
Seems like I'm the only one here who still uses iodophor...is star-san much better than that? I haven't had any sanitization issues to date using the iodine but am always willing to change if it produces better results.
Not sure if it's better from a sanitization stand point. But super easy to use and won't stain the clothes.
Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Quick Reply