The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Just got the new "Cereal Killer" Grain Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #81
Bricks41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Rollers spin freely yes... Set as even as I could, pretty darn close... Drill turning in correct direction, yes.

I only put 1.5 lbs in to test, could the lack of weight on top keep it from getting started? With that said, the hopper was half full with only the 1.5.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #82
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I had that same exact thing happen to me. Panic set in, then frustration, THEN I realized my drill was spinning in reverse.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #83
Bricks41
Recipes 

Mine was spinning in the same direction as it was when it started grabbing grain. Spinning roller down or clockwise.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #84
Rickochet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricks41 View Post
Rollers spin freely yes... Set as even as I could, pretty darn close... Drill turning in correct direction, yes.

I only put 1.5 lbs in to test, could the lack of weight on top keep it from getting started? With that said, the hopper was half full with only the 1.5.
My 'Killer will even take a tight .020" gap and provide some very, very fine milled grain... almost like flour. If the rollers spin freely and the gap is set correctly, I could only figure that the rollers are spinning in reverse. The weight in the hopper is not important either-- it should work right down to the last few grains. For an experiment, try it with your drill turning the opposite way from which you first tried. Also, double check your gap with feeler gauges.

It is easier to do things right the 1st time rather than to explain why it wasn't when you have to do it the 2nd time.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #85
Bricks41
Recipes 

Ok well I'll give it another go... As I said, I have 24 lbs to get through

Old 10-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #86
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
That is unusual. Mine works like a charm set at .035". A few questions to help diagnose: Do the rollers spin freely when you turn them with your finger? Is the gap set evenly from end to end? Is your drill turning in the correct direction?

And don't apologize for posting here--we like to help!!! Keep us posted!
I have mine set to .036 and it crushes like a boss. If you're not spinning the wrong direction, then maybe your drive coupling is slipping i.e. drill chuck, pulley etc.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #87
Bricks41
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS223

I have mine set to .036 and it crushes like a boss. If you're not spinning the wrong direction, then maybe your drive coupling is slipping i.e. drill chuck, pulley etc.
I'll look at it further in the next few days. It appears when it set to anything below .5 the grains "slide" against the rollers instead of being pulled through. It appears both the shaft and roller continue to move regardless of speed. Could it somehow be a torque issue? Of course its not an issue where the drill seizes up when grain goes through but I digress... perhaps I'll give it another go with another pound tonight to troubleshoot.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #88
Rickochet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricks41 View Post
I'll look at it further in the next few days. It appears when it set to anything below .5 the grains "slide" against the rollers instead of being pulled through. It appears both the shaft and roller continue to move regardless of speed. Could it somehow be a torque issue? Of course its not an issue where the drill seizes up when grain goes through but I digress... perhaps I'll give it another go with another pound tonight to troubleshoot.
I just ran a pound through mine to try to see what may be happening to yours. Mine works slick as a whistle. Again a few questions:
  • Have you checked the gap with feeler gauges?
  • Does both of the rollers have at least .005" end play?
  • Have you tried to mill in reverse of your initial try?

It is easier to do things right the 1st time rather than to explain why it wasn't when you have to do it the 2nd time.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #89
Bricks41
Recipes 

Still need to get feelers, but I'm absolutely positive I'm rotating it in the right direction. Describe "end play".

Old 10-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #90
Rickochet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

End play is the movement from side to side for each roller. If I was heading over your way soon, I'd sure stop by to take a look. I spend some time in Columbus from time to time for work.... AEP. Don't hold that against me! Can you do a video of the operation?

Quick Reply