Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Just got the new "Cereal Killer" Grain Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #71
Mumbly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Got My Cereal Killer yesterday.it arrived while i was at work, and didnt get a chance to check it out till close to 11pm. it looked good, upon closer inspection today one of the rivets on the bottom of the hopper closest to the "Dead" (not sure what else to call it) roller was missing. hopefully it shouldnt affect operation, and worse case scenario i can put a small stainless bolt in there, but has anyone else had this on the latest shipment of them? for me its not a major deal, and with how well it looks built (besides that one small issue) for $89 to my door, i wont complain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #72
Bricks41
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Upon delivery of mine, the crankshaft was busted through the side of the box. Doesn't appear to have damaged anything. Hopper can distort and bend fairly easily which I expected. The "dead" roller wasn't being secured on the side opposite of the crank by the locking bolt. I had to mess with it and reset the roller before the locking pin would keep it from moving.

Haven't milled anything yet and might be a few weeks before I do....

Old 10-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #73
McCullster
Recipes 

Just received mine on Tuesday and immediately disassembled it down to the last bolt. Not much to it, but I was unable to get the active roller through one of the aluminum sides (the rod that the hand crank or drill attachment fits on would not pass through through the stainless steel bushing all the way).

Mine shipped with a little too much bearing grease packed in and it was all over the rollers and inside walls of the grain mill. A little dishwashing soap and hot water with a dish brush took care of that though. Before the cleaning, the active roller would spin a little bit (maybe 3 rotations), but now if I spin it it's like the Wheel of Fortune all up on that spindle. Any idea what would be good to lubricate these bearings?

I've been keeping an eye on this mill for a little while through a few of the other "sales" its had, and it definitely feels like they fixed a few - and detracted - a few things.

For starters, the bushings have been swapped from brass bushings to stainless steel in my model. I also don't find an issue with the construction of the hopper, only the hopper attachment to the actual mill assembly. Two small bolts for the 7lb hopper? What about if I had gotten the 15lb? Oh, that's the same two small screws.....I guess we'll have to see when I start milling grain.

Also, there was a model before that had "Made In Michigan" burned into the underside of the wood base piece. No more. It's just your basic average grade wood. You can tell they mass produced these things and the cut and finish on the sanding could have been better on both sides. The wood seems frayed on the underside in the roller hole of the wood and makes it easy to pick off small splinter pieces of the wood, giving it this uneven grain look.

For $89 bucks and free shipping? You get a very capable grain mill. I'm very happy with my purchase, and can't wait to try it out. The roller and mill assembly overall is great, but with the detractors being the hopper attachment and low-grade wood of the base, I can't help but feel that the best part of this mill (the pricing and quality of the rollers) is also the part that means the most.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #74
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

there's a food grade grease thats used in the food industry.

where to find it may be problematic but i suppose anything can be found using the web.....

maybe a commercial food service store that sells restaurant equipment may have food grade grease.
if the bearings used had been seal shielded no grease would be needed.

GD51

Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #75
buildzit
building tomorrow's beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mine came Wednesday with the same problem Bricks had. Crankshaft had busted through the box. Could definitely use some bubble wrap in the box. It seemed to rotate good putting the drill to it though. Hopper seemed as good a quality as the Barley Crusher my LHBS stocks. Virgin run this w/e.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #76
najel
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I use food grade lube for my espresso machine, to lubricate gaskets etc. So espresso retailers online have it for sure.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #77
buildzit
building tomorrow's beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Changed up recipe at the last second but still ran 16 1/2 lbs through it with no problem. Used a 1/2" Milwaukee drill which turned it with no hesitation. Gapped it at .039 and had a very nice crush to the grains. Hit 75% efficiency so feel like it was spot on what I was after.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #78
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Received my Cereal Killer 10/17 and used it 10/22. I left it on the factory gap setting and got 77% efficiency, was planning on double crushing but my battery died for my drill, and I had to put a pair of vice grips on shaft and rotate by hand. The mill worked well, hopper could be a smaller gauge, and wood was damaged on the bottom, but still a steal at $89 shipped.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #79
Bricks41
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Sorry to post here as well, but I just tried mine. When it's gap is set to anything smaller than the factor notch saying .53, grain won't get crushed. The drill just spins the roller without grabbing any grain. When I up it, it will eventually pull through....

Suggestions?

Old 10-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #80
Rickochet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricks41 View Post
Sorry to post here as well, but I just tried mine. When it's gap is set to anything smaller than the factor notch saying .53, grain won't get crushed. The drill just spins the roller without grabbing any grain. When I up it, it will eventually pull through....

Suggestions?
That is unusual. Mine works like a charm set at .035". A few questions to help diagnose: Do the rollers spin freely when you turn them with your finger? Is the gap set evenly from end to end? Is your drill turning in the correct direction?

And don't apologize for posting here--we like to help!!! Keep us posted!

It is easier to do things right the 1st time rather than to explain why it wasn't when you have to do it the 2nd time.

Quick Reply