Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Just got the new "Cereal Killer" Grain Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #31
hi_octane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hmmm... Now I'm concerned that the mill Melchizedek just received might not be from the same source as that which CS223 deconstructed which has the "Made in Michigan" stamp (as seen in the attached).

Oh wait, any chance there's a town in China named "Michigan" ???

Melchizedek, can you closely compare your mill with the pictures CS223 posted and report back as to a match? Thanks.

Prost!
H.O./Jeff

ck_bot-56025.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #32
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Digging around and doing a reverse look up on the phone number comes up with Kero's Creative Craftsman, which is a custom woodworking business so it's highly likely that only the base is/was US made. As I mentioned elsewhere, I have some photos of a Barley Crusher disassembled and they look identical except the BC lacks the bearings and the additional screws. I could post the BC pic but it's not mine, if I can find the BC thread, I'll link it. Anyone know if it's US made?

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #33
Melchizedek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did compare my mill with those pictures, and as far as I can tell, they are identical, except for the "signature" at the bottom. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to Charles Kero, considering that the manufacturer said that they now produce the mill with the base. Maybe I received a newer unit that already had the base and thus could not be marked as "made in Michigan".

Here's how I got the info:

- Our roller mill is same function as monster, But different manufacturer. Ours are made in China. Same quality but more cheap.
- Could you just tell me then, is your grain mill similar to the Monster Mill as you mentioned, or similar (or identical?) to the Cereal Killer ( http://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-Ki..._p_2310.html)?
- The Cereal Killer from Adventure would be supplied by us.
- Why then does the seller say that it is made in USA? Is it simply because he added a wooden base?
- Not sure. Before we have no wooden base, but now ours is with the base.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #34
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just curious, I can't find where "Adventures" claims it it made in the U.S.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #35
Melchizedek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't think they do, the only "proof" I had was the picture from these forums. I did not express myself correctly (English is not my mother tongue)

(but it's written in the comments they posted)

Old 08-23-2012, 04:55 AM   #36
LibertyHillBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 33

So, are you guys finding any time to brew with all this investigating??

Old 08-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #37
rwinzing
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I ordered mine yesterday.....as I would perfer to buy all American made products $89.00 vs. $140.00 plus is a big difference. I can save that extra cash for grain, or my next home brew gaget.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #38
Cruzn4aBrewzn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

well I pulled the trigger on one of these as $89 shipped is awesome and I could not pass it up. I am disappointed that it's not US made as stated but for what I am getting for the price I paid I cannot complain as I also ordered a March 815 pl-c brewing pump and together they are the same price as a higher end mill with the base and hopper. and now I will finally have a mill and a pump!!!!
I am like a kid waiting for Christmas I can't wait to play with my new toys!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #39
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Little update, got to use my mill today. I set the roller gap to 0.036" per recommendations for BIAB. I also conditioned the malt per this thread, using about 3 oz of water in a 5 gal bucket while mixing & misting. I used my 1/2" drive air drill which runs at 500 RPM to drive the mill. The mill did an awesome job, met my every expectation for the quality of crush. No problems encountered, it does take some power to run the mill. No regrets on this purchase.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #40
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

If using BIAB why do you need to condition your malt, because if the grain "explodes" its not a big deal.
Though with a 1.25 inch diameter, I can see the grains more likely to explode, instead of be crushed, and stay intact.

My question is if the metal is soft, how durable is it? How long until the knurls wear down?
Didn't one of you say the steel did not seem hardened?

I just saw this at Adventures in Home Brewing.
http://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-Ki...html?AffId=160

That handle does seem very short, how long would it take to grind 10 pounds?
I would imagine its hard to hold/rotate with such short strokes, and would have greater torque than a longer handle.

Quick Reply