Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Just got the new "Cereal Killer" Grain Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #21
hi_octane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hi Melchizedek, all indications are that the handle is a waste of time/money. I'd put that $5 twds an inexpensive variable-speed corded drill.

I plan to pick-up one of these which with a 20% off coupon will only set me back ~$15... I think of it as $10 bucks with the $5 offset:

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...rill-3670.html

Perhaps you'll be able to find a similar deal up in Quebec...

Prost!
H.O./Jeff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #22
brewski1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for all the pictures and information regarding this mill. I been debating for awhile now if I should build my own or just buy one. The price is $89 plus free shipping! Can't beat that deal. Ordering it tomorrow.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:31 AM   #23
Melchizedek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My LHBS thinks that this grain mill is in fact a Chinese product/knock-off. They have the catalogue of a Chinese wholesaler, and one of their mills does look similar to the Cereal Killer.

I don't have any info on that wholesaler, and their Website (rlicl.com) is... weird and useless, at best.

What do you think? I doubt this is true, but what proof do we really have that the Cereal Killer is made in USA?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #24
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchizedek View Post
My LHBS thinks that this grain mill is in fact a Chinese product/knock-off.
What do you think? I doubt this is true, but what proof do we really have that the Cereal Killer is made in USA?
It very well could be, no country of origin sticker or stamp anywhere on it. The hot stamp on the underside of the base could just be for the wood base plate. The fasteners appear to be metric which would explain that as well. Perhaps the mill is made in China and the hopper & base in the US. There's some b/s reg. that says if some of it is made or assembled in the US, it can be labeled made in the USA. In the end, it I don't guess it matters much because it's still well made for the money & not too much of a step up from a Corona in price.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #25
rev_rend
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_octane
Hi Melchizedek, all indications are that the handle is a waste of time/money.
Although it comes in handy if your drill dies on you like mine did the other day. It was a PITA to use the handle, but thankfully my grain bill was small.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #26
LibertyHillBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS223 View Post
It very well could be, no country of origin sticker or stamp anywhere on it. The hot stamp on the underside of the base could just be for the wood base plate. The fasteners appear to be metric which would explain that as well. Perhaps the mill is made in China and the hopper & base in the US. There's some b/s reg. that says if some of it is made or assembled in the US, it can be labeled made in the USA. In the end, it I don't guess it matters much because it's still well made for the money & not too much of a step up from a Corona in price.
Well put!!, and I'm no fan of China!! and it would be nice to purchase only things made in the USA, and be true to our country, but sometimes, you just gotta purchase what you can afford and be true to your wallet...

Old 08-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #27
Melchizedek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, it turns out that the Cereal Killer is indeed a Chinese product. Maybe the guy who sells it in the US added the wooden base, thus making it a US-made product "officially" (even though I was told by the manufacturer that they now make the wooden base too, so what part is made in the US then?)

But as you said it doesn't really matter in the end. The mill received great reviews, and that's what counts!

Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #28
hi_octane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Who are you defining as the mfg? rlicl.com? I tired to look them up and the catalog you referenced and only came up with R&L International(Shanghai) Co., Ltd.

Although I did notice a few wort chillers associated with this Chinese company's name...

Old 08-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #29
Melchizedek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, that's right. I was told that their Website is under construction. They are a wholesaler who seem to manufacture a whole lot of brewing products, but I was surprised to see the Cereal Killer as one of them, considering that it's supposedly made in Michigan. It doesn't change anything to the quality of the product, but I was a little surprised (and, frankly, disappointed) to see that the Cereal Killer is in fact made in China (at least for the most part).

Old 08-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #30
Melchizedek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just received my Cereal Killer in the mail, and there is no indication whatsoever that it was made in Michigan, as seen in the other thread. Perhaps there was never an issue as to whether this mill was made in the USA? Do your mills all have this "made in Michigan" indication?

Quick Reply