Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Just got the new "Cereal Killer" Grain Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #131
worxman02
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by worxman02 View Post
I just got mine yesterday and I'm pretty stoked to start using it. It's inaugural brew will be my first 10 gallon batch so I'm pretty excited to grind my own grain at home so I can get better efficiency out of my BIAB setup. I think I might stop by the LHBS tonight to buy a pound of 2-row or so to run through it as a test. I'll make a mini BIAB mash with it to check efficiency of my crush. It will also be a good time to test out my new refractometer too.
I just did a test batch with a pound of two row crushed at a 0.032 gap and 2 quarts of water and an hour mash, I got 80% efficiency which is higher than my last two batches. I'm pretty stoked about the increased efficiency. Should I be shooting for higher than this? I always thought I heard that around 80% is what you should be shooting for. I'll post pictures of my crush later.
Kegged: Scottish Pale Ale (Scottish 80/- with added Hop Tea.
Bottled:Pumpkin Ale & Mcquaker's Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Drinking: Above & HUB IPA & Dechutes Black Butte Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #132
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 255

personally, i'd be less worried about getting a specific number, and more worried about hitting a given number consistently. 80% is a high and round number. get yourself set up to where you're always getting 80% and plug that into your brewing software - consistent beer awaits you!

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 02-28-2013, 02:28 AM   #133
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsailor View Post
That sticky oil/wax coating is usually a dead ringer for "made in china" or at least made overseas and shipped in container by sea. It's there to protect steel parts from corrosion in the high humidity of a marine environment. Just go to Harbor Freight or any discount auto parts brand and touch anything and that looks like steel or cast iron you'll know how to id it.

It comes off really easily with carb cleaner, brake cleaner, or any half decent solvent. Just make sure you don't wash the lube out of the bearings as they likely have only dust caps and not good liquid tight seals in them.
Cosmoline

BL, CL, Miller etc. is like makin love in a canoe.....
its fkin close to water.
Lagering/conditioning: German pils, Dortmunder
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10

Quick Reply