Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Just got the new "Cereal Killer" Grain Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #111
Grannyknot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easily_Distracted View Post
It looks like the mill is ay $99 w/free shipping at the moment.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Cereal-Ki...html?AffId=160
This is only a pre-order. They expect their shipment to arrive mid-late November.
I got in on the pre-order last week, but not getting my hopes up on seeing it on my doorstep until mid-December.
By the way...if you place a pre-order, they will charge your card that day.

Bottled:
On Tap: House IPA, Raspberry Cascade Ale
Secondary:
Primary: Fresh Hop IPA
On Deck: Mt Hood Kolsch, Breakfast Stout, Celebration Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #112
Easily_Distracted
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
By the way...if you place a pre-order, they will charge your card that day.
Good to know.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #113
hi_octane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My wife just gave me mine for our anniversary yesterday... At the moment, I only have two complaints: 1. Two of the three wooden pegs on the wood base were busted off (no biggie... I'll drill them out and replace with slightly larger ones) and 2. I'll probably have to repay the gesture by gifting my wife with something that sparkles.

Hope to grind and brew this weekend or next and will report back.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #114
Bricks41
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Tightened up the gap, got the roller spinning better and just finished brewing.

13 lbs of grain - All said and done - OG 1.072 with 5.5G in the fermenter - approx 78% eff

Quite happy!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #115
Grannyknot
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Has anyone heard any new shipment information on the cereal killers?
I noticed they stopped taking pre-orders.

Bottled:
On Tap: House IPA, Raspberry Cascade Ale
Secondary:
Primary: Fresh Hop IPA
On Deck: Mt Hood Kolsch, Breakfast Stout, Celebration Clone

Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #116
revansCAAD8
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Not heard anything, so bought a Monster Mill Friday. More expensive but at least I will be grinding grain by this Friday!

Robert
GypsyBrew

Old 12-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #117
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I heard on Reddit that they had quality issues and refused some of their latest shipment. This is 3rd/4th hand information though...

Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #118
Rickochet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Info From Homebrewing.com

I have purchased items from "Adventures in Homebrewing" and have always been very pleased with their service. I sent Jason from Homebrewing.org an email asking him what the delay was for the Cereal Killer Grain Mills. He responded within 10 minutes. Please see his note below.

The email from Jason:

"Rick,

Thank you for your e-mail. The mill parts are made over seas. When an item is imported, it can be inspected by customs. These parts have been stopped for an inspection. Inspections can take 24 hours or inspections can take six months. This is done by the federal government and we, as a company, can do nothing about this. The best part is, they charge us $100 for every day it is held for a "Storage" fee. The longest I have had to wait is thirty days. This shipment is getting very close to that.

I set the dates for imported items two weeks out from the expected date. The reason is to avoid any confusion on when the items may ship. I have a second shipment due in on December 15th- at this rate, I may see the second shipment before I see the first. I have not even listed these for Christmas because I know we will not be able to guarantee them before the holiday.

Why do we not order more? This mill is still going through upgrades. When we have made our final version, ship times will not be an issue. The past issues are noted on sites like Homebrewtalk.com- We want to order in small enough quantities to have each version of the mill tested by the homebrew community.

For anyone with concerns, they are welcome to ask for a full refund. I truly apologize for any delays but cannot do anything about the inspection of items entering the United States.

Finally, when should they be available? The honest answer is, I do not know. They are here. I could show up in Ann Arbor on Monday and have a truck sitting at the door full of grain mill parts. This may also take another 4 months. Obviously, I believe we are closer to any day rather than four months but I can only guess at this point.

Yeah, I do not think anyone ever questions our speed of shipments- it is the rare case when we get the delay on products. We have over 3000 items that ship daily with no hiccups. Then you get one product that gets all of this attention.

Importing this time of year is a nightmare. Everyone wants items to arrive by Christmas. I am sure the Walmarts of the world have people at the loading docks ensuring their products do not get stopped. I am sure the government has a quota of shipments to check. The small businesses are going to be inspected at the ports and this is just another hurdle we have to jump to compete with corporate America.

If it was all easy, I would not enjoy it nearly as much

Thanks for asking, sorry I do not have a better answer.

Cheers!

Jason"

It is easier to do things right the 1st time rather than to explain why it wasn't when you have to do it the 2nd time.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #119
yso191
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default here's what I did with mine...

In the quest for consistency and ease, I motorized mine.

This is how it waits for brew day:

I just used some old shelving for the base. I looked for a used motor, but got in a hurry and ended up buying a new one for about $90. It is a 1/3 hp motor which runs at 1725 rpm. That is why the 14" v-belt Pulley to drop the rpm's down to about 200. The pulley I got off of eBay for about $55. I got it with a 1/2" bore and a 1/2" bushing to get it to work on the mill shaft.

Notice the holes in the board as they line up with the pegs on the bottom of the mill.

So I just set it on two buckets, put the mill into the holes, put the belt on and it is ready to go.

Someday I'd like to put it in a rolling cabinet, but this is pretty handy.

Steve

Old 12-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #120
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts

Would like to eventually motorize my mill also. I noticed you said you "geared" it to run at about 200rpm. Is that considered a good speed for milling? I have no clue. I use my cordless drill on the "driver" speed.

Thanks

Quick Reply