Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Just got my 14.5 Fermenator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007, 05:11 AM   #1
billtzk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Just got my 14.5 Fermenator

My 14.5 gallon Fermenator arrived tonight. It sure is a looker! It's very well made and I think it's going to be worth every penny. I can't wait to use it. I'd post a pic, but I can't since I have a free membership here. You all know what it looks like anyhow. I bought it from Midwest Homebrewing Supplies. Here's the picture on their site: 14.5 Fermenator

I have a question for other Fermenator owners.

What cleaning and storage process do you follow between brews? Do you remove all the fittings and seals, scrub and wash with detergent, then sanitize and ziplok bag the parts, then reassemble it all sans seals, gaskets, and o-rings like the instructions suggest? If you do all that, do you re-sanitize everything again before next use?

Cleaning after you empty it makes sense. It seems like a waste to go to all that effort to sanitize and bag your parts at the same time. I can't imagine not going through the whole sanitizing regimen right before using it next time.

I'd just like to know how the rest of you treat your Fermenator when it's sitting idle. I'm thinking about standing mine in the corner of my bedroom so I can admire it as I fall asleep each night, but I guess that feeling will wear off before long.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2007, 05:16 AM   #2
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

First of all Im jealous you bitch.
Second, pony up freeloader!

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 12-21-2007, 05:35 AM   #3
billtzk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloSabresBrewer
First of all Im jealous you bitch.
Second, pony up freeloader!
Well then, I'll be sure to also post about my Therminator from Northern Brewer when it gets here tomorrow. I had to wait forever to order that. It seemed that everyone was sold out of them for a long time.

I'll probably pony up for a paid membership eventually. I going to want to post pics of my Brutus Ten that I'm building when I get done with it.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk
Well then, I'll be sure to also post about my Therminator from Northern Brewer when it gets here tomorrow. I had to wait forever to order that. It seemed that everyone was sold out of them for a long time.

I'll probably pony up for a paid membership eventually. I going to want to post pics of my Brutus Ten that I'm building when I get done with it.

Never mind then, just leave now because we all hate you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 12-21-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 562 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 201

That's a beaut Clark...

Old 12-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Nate

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here's our process...

1. After kegging, I clean the big pieces (shell and top) with PBW outside while the wife uses detergent on the smaller stuff inside (completely taken apart).
2. Store all small pieces inside the fermenator and cover the top to keep dust out.
3. Brew day, quick rinse, sanitize all the small parts in a bag, assemble the entire thing, sanitize the entire interior, then fill for fermentation.

Last edited by Nate; 12-21-2007 at 07:13 PM.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
Here's our process...

1. After kegging, I clean the big pieces (shell and top) with PBW outside while the wife uses detergent on the smaller stuff inside (completely taken apart).
2. Store all small pieces inside the fermenator and cover the top to keep dust out.
3. Brew day, quick rinse, sanitize all the small parts in a bag, assemble the entire thing, sanitize the entire interior, then fill for fermentation.
Ditto, except the part with the wife and the detergent. I clean it all with PBW. I'm solo in the brewery.
dscn2354_1_224x300.jpg  

Old 12-21-2007, 10:07 PM   #8
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You will enjoy the fermentor a lot and you do not have to clean it every time if using the same yeast. I usually rack off into kegs and push the new wort into the fermentor and dump in saved yeast and it takes right off.

If you want a freezer that will work for the 27 gallon or smaller 14.5 Blichmann the whirlpool 24.7 cu ft freezer works great ( http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...RQ&lpage=none).

For the 27 gallon Blichmann you have to remove the door panel and replace it with a flat panel. You also need to raise the floor up 8 inches to clear the hump in the back bottom. Hook up your RANCO digital temp controller and you can ferment and lager at any temp.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 12-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #9
billtzk
Recipes 

Thanks for the input so far guys.... Nate, I like that method. Now for another question.

The instructions say to completely fill the fermenator with sanitizer, put the lid on, and fill it the rest of the way, then drain it out. That sounds nuts. I use Iodophor, and while I usually mix up several gallons on brewday, 15 gallons would be a waste. Is it safe to assume that no one actually sanitizes the way the instructions say? After assembly with sanitized parts, I just plan on mixing up a couple of gallons of Iodophor solution and slosh it around inside including the lid, run it through the dump and racking ports, and spray it all down on the outside around the openings in the lid. Sound ok?

WBC, how many times can you ferment back to back without complete sanitizing. I'm not sure I'd want to try it anyway, but I figure you'd be pushing your luck to do it more than once.

Thanks for the freezer link. I think I'm covered though. I have a side by side fridge/freezer that I'm going to gut and put a sturdy floor in. I believe I can fit two 14.5's in it side by side once I remove most of the partition between the two compartments. Not that I plan to get another conical anytime soon.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:13 AM   #10
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
WBC, how many times can you ferment back to back without complete sanitizing. I'm not sure I'd want to try it anyway, but I figure you'd be pushing your luck to do it more than once.
I have done it 2 times but I was very careful to spray Starsan on everything I touched and kept the side port clean and baged too and that is where I pushed in the new wort and yeast using a pump. I figure it this way, if that beer that just came out was good then the next will be good too. Sanitize, Sanitize, Sanitize, ....

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Quick Reply