The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Just crazy enough to work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
ian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Just crazy enough to work?

I was going to post this one in the "weird @$$ ideas" forum but I can't find it . . .

So, I've got this kegerator project that I'm working on (I'll post pics later) and it got me thinking. If I've got a hole cut in the top of my chest freezer anyway, why not run a hose coming out of it to a computer fan to pull cool air out of it and blow it into an insulated fermentor box?

Here's a rough diagram of the thought:

feel free to tell me this is stupid or not. . . I was just thinking.

EDIT: I was thinking to have a thermostat on the fermenter box to tell the fan when to run or not.

Last edited by ian; 10-04-2006 at 08:01 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #2
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

I plan on doing somethiing simular at some point. The air would have to go both ways (circulate) or you will have a slight vacum in the chest freezer which will stall the air transfering to the fermentation box.
So you'll need two pipes. In and out.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 10-04-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I started thinking of doing something similar between a ferment box and outside in the winter, but I scored a freezer for $20 today that I will use as a dedicated lagering box. I agree with the above that you'll have to add a return duct. I'd suggest insulating the lines too and off course try running the circulating fan on a thermostat inside your ferment box.

Bobby

Old 10-04-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
ian

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I was wondering about that. See, the hole in the chest freezer is likely to not be airtight - I'm not too worried about it as cool air sinks - and I was thinking that air might be drawn back into the keggerator through that. Although, this air would be warm and probably cause the freezer to work harder . . .

stuff to think about.

Maybe two fans, one in and one out both controlled by the thermostat. . . .

Old 10-04-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Just seal the hole with silicone. One fan will do it then.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 10-04-2006 at 11:06 PM.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
trinitone

Recipes 

I'm guessing that you'll want some kind of duct bigger than a "siphon" hose, otherwise you ain't going to get much air moving through there. Something like this if you could find it cheaper.

Secondary 2: Monk's Tripel...
Bottled: Dark Star Brown Ale, Watership Stout, Yet to be named cider

Well... a person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all.

This kind of an area is the best place for survival because you do have good, basically intelligent, hard working, decent people and they're all armed to the teeth... and that's my kind of people.

Last edited by trinitone; 10-04-2006 at 08:23 PM.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Well even some one inch irrigation hose with a 1 inch fan (often used in computer components).

Old 10-04-2006, 11:55 PM   #8
Brewiz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I think I would run 2 rigid lines with flexible connection at the pivot point for the top of the freezer and then go into the back of your box. Your supply line could be 2" pvc and return could be 1" pvc. That way you would have pleny of volume but not a lot of pressure.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:27 AM   #9
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just cut a port of any size you like in the side of your fermenter and one side of your freezer, say 8w x 12h or 12w x 12h or whatever. Then bolt the fermenter to the side of your freezer with a compressed freezer gasket between them and let them share the same air space. As long as the port between the two boxes is large enough, you won't need a fan. You've merely increased the capacity of your freezer by the capacity of your fermenting box.

I wouldn't bother making them separate chambers connected via insulated duct with forced air movement unless I had to for space reasons. As long as you've got the space to bolt on your fermenter, you might as well just directly share the freezer air space.

Oh, if you actually want to control the temperature separately, then make the port small (the size of a computer fan), bolt the box to the freezer, and let the fan and thermostat you mentioned sit between the two air spaces and regulate air passage to control temperature. Drill a small diameter hole apart from the fan hole to equalize pressure while the fan is running.

Last edited by disaffected; 10-05-2006 at 03:34 AM.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:30 AM   #10
ian

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
Just cut a port of any size you like in the side of your fermenter and one side of your freezer, say 8w x 12h or 12w x 12h or whatever. Then bolt the fermenter to the side of your freezer with a compressed freezer gasket between them and let them share the same air space. As long as the port between the two boxes is large enough, you won't need a fan. You've merely increased the capacity of your freezer by the capacity of your fermenting box.

I wouldn't bother making them separate chambers connected via insulated duct with forced air movement unless I had to for space reasons. As long as you've got the space to bolt on your fermenter, you might as well just directly share the freezer air space.

Oh, if you actually want to control the temperature separately, then make the port small (the size of a computer fan), bolt the box to the freezer, and let the fan and thermostat you mentioned sit between the two air spaces and regulate air passage to control temperature. Drill a small diameter hole apart from the fan hole to equalize pressure while the fan is running.
hmmm, now that is an interesting idea. But, I still want them to be separate. I'm going to have to move the kegerator from time to time so I plan to have it on casters. The whole thing needs to be detached.

Thanks guys, sounds like this might not be a bad idea after all.

Quick Reply