The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Johnson Controls Dig. Temp. Control Not Working?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
cram
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had the same problem--turned out to be a faulty ground in the outlet that it plugs into. So check your connections, especially grounding wires.

I have the unit controlling my fermentation chamber and it plugs into an extension cord that has three outlets. Low and behold, the ground on one of the outlets doesn't work. Figured it out on happenstance as I was about to take the Johnson apart to troubleshoot but plugged it into another outlet on the extension cord and--viola--it started working again as it always did. Hope this helps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
KCBigDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've got one that isn't working. It's not the outlet, because a replacement works just fine.

Is there a place I can send it to be fixed? I wouldn't mind having it as a backup, as I did pay $70 for it 13 months ago... (bad luck, it was just out of warranty)

Old 11-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
RogueGoose85
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That C03/ASD error pops up for me whenever i unplug it. Just set the asd to 0, that will clear the error. Then set the asd to whatever you want.

My controller read 90 today in a 68 degree fridge...thats another story...

Old 04-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
apratsunrthd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ressurecting this one again, guys. Same problems listed here: C03 shows up. All functions seem to work. Light comes on when appropriate but the relay never fires (no output voltage, no audible click). I actually replaced the relay with the same part and still, nothing. I was thinking it might be the transformer that sits next to the relay but I imagine that transformer is supplying the voltage that powers the LCD and green light, so that shouldn't be it... Running out of ideas. Anyone have any luck?

Cicerone Certified Beer Server (#8004)

Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #15
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Have you tried their tech support? I've installed a dozen or so of these but don't recall seeing that problem ever.....

Old 06-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #16
pndupont
Recipes 

Hi guys, I have been looking into this problem and think I have come to probably the best answer.
I own a LHBS and had a customer return one of these today (I exchanged it) and looked into it myself.
the LCD seems to oscillate between different readouts but always goes back to every cell being illuminated followed by C03 (or CO3) being displayed for a moment, it may appear to opperate for a short time then repeat the process.

I called Johnson Controls (not my distributor) and it seems they prefer not to deal with individual users that much given the scale of their business but I was able to get a good answer none the less

the C03 or CO3 code is not an error code. It correlates to the version of firmware that is on the device. It is not mentioned anywhere in the literature because it will change periodically over time and should only be displayed when the unit is plugged in. The reason it is repeatedly being displayed in some units appears to be a power short of some kind going into the main board on the unit.

If you are having this problem I recommend returning the unit for an exchange. the replacement unit should work fine. If you are brave enough to open it up and fiddle around to try and find the short just be aware you may not be eligible for an exchange. These units do carry a warranty.

hope this helps

Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #17
kman6234
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pndupont View Post
Hi guys, I have been looking into this problem and think I have come to probably the best answer.
I own a LHBS and had a customer return one of these today (I exchanged it) and looked into it myself.
the LCD seems to oscillate between different readouts but always goes back to every cell being illuminated followed by C03 (or CO3) being displayed for a moment, it may appear to opperate for a short time then repeat the process.

I called Johnson Controls (not my distributor) and it seems they prefer not to deal with individual users that much given the scale of their business but I was able to get a good answer none the less

the C03 or CO3 code is not an error code. It correlates to the version of firmware that is on the device. It is not mentioned anywhere in the literature because it will change periodically over time and should only be displayed when the unit is plugged in. The reason it is repeatedly being displayed in some units appears to be a power short of some kind going into the main board on the unit.

If you are having this problem I recommend returning the unit for an exchange. the replacement unit should work fine. If you are brave enough to open it up and fiddle around to try and find the short just be aware you may not be eligible for an exchange. These units do carry a warranty.

hope this helps
I had this same issue with my controller I bought last year. Ended up calling northern brewer and exchanging it. The new one they sent has been working fine for the past year.

On Deck: Jamil's Evil Twin
Primary: N/A
Conditioning:Bohemian Pilsner
On Tap:Win-Sane IPA #3, Double Minor Dubbel

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry

Old 09-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #18
captgus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueGoose85 View Post
That C03/ASD error pops up for me whenever i unplug it. Just set the asd to 0, that will clear the error. Then set the asd to whatever you want.

My controller read 90 today in a 68 degree fridge...thats another story...
+1 I struggled with this for a good 20 minutes before coming here and finding this gem. No matter what I tried, the display continued to flash. I set the ASD to O, pressed the MENU button and viola. Thanks Rogue Goose.

Quick Reply