Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Johnson Controls A419 Settings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #31
garysherck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default A419 Recommended Settings & Question

Looking for information as How To set my A419 for cooling (is the DEFAULT factory jumper settings for Cooling?)
The JC PDF does not provide the homebrewer much guidance, which is the wonderful aspect of this forum.

I found the following, reading reviews on Amazon. What are your thoughts on these recommended settings?

SP: setpoint (for my purpose 67) the temperature you want the thing to try and maintain.

dIF: differential (1 to 30F, default = 5) I leave at default, this is the point + or - from the setpoint temp (so 62 to 73 in my case.

ASd: anti-short cycle delay (0 to 12 minutes, default = 1) I set to 12 minutes, just to put the least amount of stress on the compressor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #32
Marlowefire
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Similar to mine except I set a differential of 2 degrees.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #33
garysherck
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Your setting does make more sense: set the differential at two degrees rather than five. Am I correct about the Factory jumpers set for cooling?

What do you think about placing the probe in a glass, 8 oz. of water for a more accurate reading or doesn't it matter?

Old 01-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #34
Marlowefire
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysherck
Your setting does make more sense: set the differential at two degrees rather than five. Am I correct about the Factory jumpers set for cooling?

What do you think about placing the probe in a glass, 8 oz. of water for a more accurate reading or doesn't it matter?
The factory setting is to kick on to cool to a set temperature. I tape my probe tithe side of the Carboy so I know it's controlling my beer temp. Also have fermometers on the carboys for added assurance that both are working properly (or working the same at least) in GA during the summer the chest freezer kicks on about once an hour for 5 minutes for the first couple of days and then once every 3 hours or so for the rest.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #35
travlinScott
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

I'm going to jump in here with a question I'm hoping someone can help with. I'm trying to do a ferment chamber with a new 7 Cf GE chest freezer and johnson control A419 control unit.

The issue I'm having is that even though the control turns on and off at the correct temperatures, the freezer continues to cool even after the control unit shuts it off, so the temp in the chamber is drooping 10 degrees cooler than what I want and sitting there for quite a while. Has anybody else had this problem?

Old 04-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #36
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If the freezer is empty, try it with some thermal mass and check to see if the liquid temperature is close to where you want it. There will probably be some residual cooling from the cold evaporator coil after the compressor shuts off. I think someone already mentioned a fan to help move the air around inside - I put one in mine and it seems to help.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #37
djspray
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

10 deg over-shoot sounds like a lot. I was only getting 2-3.

I had a 5-6 cu. ft. freezer with the A419. I Placed the probe in a small glass of water. The first time you cool, it will over-shoot a long way, as the water will cool more slowly than the air. After a day or so, they will equilibrate, and as long as you have your differential 2-3 deg, the freezer will cycle on/off reasonably consistent.

Another trick I used to get more precise control of temp actually in carboy was to tape an ice pack (gel-type in foil package) to the carboy with the probe between the glass and ice pack.

On Tap: AHS Anniversary IPA
Primary (at BOP): Belgian Tripel Threat (CBC)

Old 05-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #38
hlhorne
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How is everyone powering their fans inside the chest freezer? Just running the power cable outside the top (between the lid and the freezer)?

Had never thought about stratification. Smart solution!

Old 05-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #39
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah, mine is just a cord running in to power the fan when the 'stat calls for cooling. It's run under the lid gasket along with the temperature probe wire. I know this isn't the ideal way and, if I ever get around to building a collar on the freezer, I'll do a proper feed-through arrangement for all wires, hoses, etc..... After you live with a Ghetto set-up for awhile, ya kinda get used to it!

Hmmm...... Maybe a 10x50 old house trailer converted into a brewery is in order!

Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #40
istr810m
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default clarification on cut-in or cut-out

I want my chest freezer set to 40. I do not know if I need to have the jumpers inside the control set to "Cut-In" or "Cut-Out". What I want is for it to cool down to 40 and shut off.

Quick Reply