Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Johnson control probe in thermal well?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
crushingblackdoom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Default Johnson control probe in thermal well?

Hey gang.
I'm converting a sanke keg into a 10-12 gallon SS fermenter. My welder buddy is installing a 6" deepX 1/4" diameter side-mounted thermal well, in which I plan to screw in my thermometer in order to monitor ferm temps.
Was thinking I could test it out by sticking my Thermapen probe into the well while beer is actively fermenting, see if I get an accurate reading. That'd be real cool !

My question: If I were to get a Johnson temp probe in the thermowell, instead of a weldless thermometer, would I be able to control ferm temps OUTSIDE of a closed ferm-chamber?

I'm very lucky my basement stays around 65*F ambient most year-round, but I want to know if the Johnson controls only really control temps in a controlled environment like a keezer or closed fridge?
Any info and guidance is of course very greatly appreciated. You HBTers are the salt of the earth!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1115 Times on 905 Posts

Um....huh?

You need a controllable environment for any temperature controller to do anything useful. You can't just drop a probe in a vessel, plug in the controller, set them both out in the yard, and expect anything good to happen...

Cheers!

Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #3
crushingblackdoom
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Thanx, daytrippr, I didn't think so. I know it's a pretty novice question, but, bless this mess, HBT knows. I can't think of my rad, cooool basement as a "controlled environment". Even though it is rad and cooool. But not always the same exact temp. Until I find a free/cheap fridge, it's American ales & saisons this summer! Could be worse

Old 05-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 565 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 1605

All the temperature controller does is turn the fridge/freezer/fermentation chamber/kegerator/etc on and off when the interior temperature is outside the set parameters. Without a chamber of some sort, the controller is useless. The controller itself does not do any cooling or heating.

2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB
cheezydemon3 is my spirit animal.

Quick Reply