The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Johnson Analog Temperature Controller Temperature Profile

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 01:13 AM   #1
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Johnson Analog Temperature Controller Temperature Profile

I've been meaning to do this for a while now but I burned my temperature probe cable and I had to wait for a new one to come in.

I have a johnson analog temperature controller seen at the top of the page here NORTHERN BREWER: Fermentation Temperature Control

I wanted to know just what temperature my fridge was compared to the temperature setting. In the experiment I had the controller set to 35*F, and the bulb of the controller as well as the temperature probe resting on a cardboard six-pack carrier to get a good air temp. As you can see it was a pretty even bounce between just under 38 and 43 *F. I figure that puts the beer at 40*F or just above.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Last edited by Coastarine; 11-12-2008 at 01:16 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Interesting. Obviously a very well insulated unit. I wish I could do readouts from my controller. I do know that I have my controller set at 36 and my kegerator turns on every 49 minutes for a span of 7 minutes

Old 11-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well the keezer is out in the laundry room which is not climate controlled and it was a cool evening last night so I'm sure that makes a difference with respect to how long it shuts off.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 09-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
CChags
Recipes 

What is the size of your kegerator? (Arneba28) Basically I'm trying to see if I should buy a temperature controller or use your approximate on/off power estimations and size of kegerator to just buy a $10 power timer and do some trial and error. It could be worth a try?

Old 10-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Hercules Rockefeller

Recipes 

Default I don't know if that'd be worth the effort.

There are all sorts of variables at play here - the ambient temperature around the fridge, how many times you open/close the fridge door, the volume of air vs. thermal mass of cold kegs in the fridge at any given time, adding in a keg of warm beer, etc. Every one of those factors would make the fridge need to turn on/off at different rates depending on what's going on. I suppose with careful data logging, you could develop a system to account for all the variables (for example, perhaps you could implement a pattern in which the fridge cycles on more often for the first 24 hours after adding a warm keg). in the long run those factors would more or less even out, but in the short term you'd risk either frozen kegs or slightly warm beer every now and then.

"let me be the first to welcome our new insectile overlords"

On deck: Breakfast stout
Primary: Empty
Secondary: American Pale Ale
Conditioning: None
Kegged: Imperial red ale, Breakfast stout, Chipotle Irish red ale, Biermuncher's C3C cream ale

Quick Reply