Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Jet burner question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
donshizzles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Jet burner question

I have a question about how to hook up a jet burner to a steel pipe propane line. Basically I'd like to know.......is the main hole to the ring burner threaded to accept a pipe fitting or is there some special way that you need to hook it all up? I'm assuming a little gas tape and screwing in the pipe is all thats needed.......am I right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I think it's a simple SAE pipe fitting on mine. It came assembled but from my vague memory that is what it is. I think I'm reading your question right???? Mine goes burner... male pipe fitting to female flare fitting for propane regulator..... propane hose..... male flare fitting (reverse threading) into propane tank. I'm not sure if that's what you are asking but I hope it helps.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
donshizzles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I guess what I'm getting at is can you screw a steel pipe directly into the ring burner orifice or do you need some other part to attach the two?

Old 08-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Mine is an SAE pipe fitting so you should be able to join it with a steel pipe as it should have an SAE pipe fitting as well.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm129 View Post
Mine is an SAE pipe fitting so you should be able to join it with a steel pipe as it should have an SAE pipe fitting as well.
I think it's actually National Pipe Thread (NPT), not SAE. The SAE threads I am familiar with are nut and bolt type fine threads, not pipe fitting threads.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donshizzles View Post
I have a question about how to hook up a jet burner to a steel pipe propane line. Basically I'd like to know.......is the main hole to the ring burner threaded to accept a pipe fitting or is there some special way that you need to hook it all up? I'm assuming a little gas tape and screwing in the pipe is all thats needed.......am I right?
The burner should have a brass gas orifice that you can hook up to with standard pipe thread fittings. Sometimes, depending on the design, the orifice and control valve are a part of the same assembly.

Show us a close up pick of the burner etc and we can probably help you figure it out.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Standard pipe threads. I used a nipple and bought the gas regulator and hose from tejassmokers.com

Old 08-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
donshizzles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hmmmm......still confused if I need an additional part between the steel pipe and the ring burner, like a flare nut or something? I mean the way it looks now I can buy a 3/4" pipe from HD, some gas tape and just screw it into the opening to the ring burner, the other end into the regulator, the regular into the propane tank and have at it .....right?

Old 08-08-2009, 04:37 AM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donshizzles View Post
Hmmmm......still confused if I need an additional part between the steel pipe and the ring burner, like a flare nut or something? I mean the way it looks now I can buy a 3/4" pipe from HD, some gas tape and just screw it into the opening to the ring burner, the other end into the regulator, the regular into the propane tank and have at it .....right?
What burner do you have. If it's a multi-jet burner you can hook it up directly to the pipe. There are different models of these burners. Some are jetted for natural gas and others for propane.

If this is not a multi-jet burner, but one of the more common jet, ring or diffuser designs, it will require an air damper and an orifice jet. I think yoiu must have the multi-jet burner if it was delivered with only a plain threaded pipe inlet and nothing else. The first thing you need to know is whether it is designed for natural gas or propane. The second thing you want to know is what gas pressure is it designed for. Whoever sold it to you should be able to provide the needed information. Don't those things come with instructions of some kind?

Old 08-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
donshizzles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
What burner do you have. If it's a multi-jet burner you can hook it up directly to the pipe. There are different models of these burners. Some are jetted for natural gas and others for propane.

If this is not a multi-jet burner, but one of the more common jet, ring or diffuser designs, it will require an air damper and an orifice jet. I think yoiu must have the multi-jet burner if it was delivered with only a plain threaded pipe inlet and nothing else. The first thing you need to know is whether it is designed for natural gas or propane. The second thing you want to know is what gas pressure is it designed for. Whoever sold it to you should be able to provide the needed information. Don't those things come with instructions of some kind?
Well it clearly stated on the website that it was a propane multi jet burner. As far as what gas pressure its designed for, it didn't say.
No directions, just the burner wrapped in packing material with packing slip attached to the box. But your right, all it has is a threaded hole to hook it directly to a pipe.
I'm going to get one of the 0-60psi adjustable regulators and see how that works.

Quick Reply