Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > iwaki pump and SS parts score from junkyard

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you can fit the connecting bracket from a march pump allowing for you to add a march pump head. I have not run it this way cause I dont have extra parts for the need to run it put I was able to fit the connecting bracket on it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
I have two Iwaki pumps (40RLT i believe); even though the housing will handle boiling temps the impeller will not. it has a molded in "bearing" of sorts and will melt. Ask me how I know I use one on my keg washer the other is an impeller less paperweight.
Really? I have a Resun (Iwaki knockoff) md40 and have used it with boiling wort no problem. From the Iwaki spec sheet there is nothing that would not handle the temps (both the housing and impellor are GRF-PP and the bearing is PTFE/Teflon). Are you sure you didn't dry run it? Sorry just checked and the thrust washer could be PE which if LDPE has a melting point of 105°C so might of been the issue, but you could replace this with a ceramic one.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:08 AM   #13
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

It didn't run dry. It failed on the maiden voyage and all I was doing was recirculating boiling water. I'm not sure how I'd replace that piece, mine is molded in to the impeller. If I could find a better impeller I'd use it. It is an amazing pump as far as power and quietness are concerned. BTW mine are Iwaki MD-70RLZ (~ 1/3 hp). The March head wont fit, maybe a larger model may.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
zzzzzzzzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I bought an Iwaki 15 pump 100Volt(Japan) for $20. It gets pretty warm on 110Volts, and it is volumetrically just fine. The Iwaki site says to 180 degrees F. I also just bought 2 - 110Volt Iwaki 20's for $30. They are bigger volume and head also 180 degrees. I will use my new March 815 for the BKettle and Iwakis for 2 other pumps and have a spare. Careful to do good cleaning and beware some were used in photo processing and very dark (likely silver oxide?). Mine all were very clean looking, sterilized and tested for taste. All seems good.
FYI, Jim

Old 09-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
cfrazier77
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Hey, I am close to St. Louis, where is this scrap yard? I would love to go look through it for goodies!

Happy Dog Brewing

Quick Reply