Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > iwaki pump and SS parts score from junkyard

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default iwaki pump and SS parts score from junkyard

So i stopped at the local junkyard and found a 316 SS compression tee for 3/8 tubing and a iwaki WMD-20RLT pump. I figured I would check the price to see if it was worth risking the money that the pump even worked. Total cost for both parts came to $5!! so I figured hell I will give it a go. Got home and wired it up and BOOM it runs perfectly fine. So I got to looking online and all iwaki makes is plastic heads so I called them up and talked to a technician about temp ratings etc. The pump head is made from GFRPP (glass fortified Polypropylene) which is rated above 212 F and does not leach. PP is used for autoclaving consumables. The outside pump housing on mine is broken but everything else is there and in good condition. However, since I do not know the origin of the pump I wouldn't want to use anything that has contact with beer. For $40 I could get a new pump head housing but the impeller will run me $60. However, I noticed that the march pump head would fit into the motor but was a little smaller than the iwaki impeller housing. With a collar I might be able to make something work. My other options would be LG or chugger pump heads. Could anyone with either a chugger or LG let me know what the diameter of the impeller house is? Also, if you could measure the distance between the screws that hold it on (ie, Distance from hole 1 to 3) that wold ROCK!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1231 Times on 996 Posts

fyi, Chugger and March pump heads are interchangeable...

Cheers!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
GreenBoneBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
fyi, Chugger and March pump heads are interchangeable...

Cheers!
That's because Chugger ripped off the March pump with no original thought put into the design of their pump. Way to be different Chugger.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBoneBrew View Post
That's because Chugger ripped off the March pump with no original thought put into the design of their pump. Way to be different Chugger.
You don't need to be original to make money...CHA-CHING!!!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1231 Times on 996 Posts

Jeeze, miss the point much?

The OP tried his Chugger head and the fit was apparently not optimal, and was wondering if the March head would work better, apparently not knowing that the Chugger and March heads are essentially identical...

Cheers!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Jeeze, miss the point much?

The OP tried his Chugger head and the fit was apparently not optimal, and was wondering if the March head would work better, apparently not knowing that the Chugger and March heads are essentially identical...

Cheers!
Otherway round, seems like he tried his March and was wondering about the chugger
And I'm missing the point with that reply too

And the original thought that chugger had was to make them in china (or where-ever) so they are much cheaper.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
However, I noticed that the march pump head would fit into the motor but was a little smaller than the iwaki impeller housing. With a collar I might be able to make something work. My other options would be LG or chugger pump heads. Could anyone with either a chugger or LG let me know what the diameter of the impeller house is? Also, if you could measure the distance between the screws that hold it on (ie, Distance from hole 1 to 3) that wold ROCK!
The bolt circle on our pump where the studs are is 2.875"
the housing where the impeller sits inside is 2.377"

-Walter

Old 03-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

walter thanks for the measurements. Does March make any MD pumps that have slightly larger pump heads? The iwaki motor uses larger magnets for the impeller and the magnet that is attached to the motor. Outfitting this motor with march parts would be BA

Old 03-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
WalterAtMarchPump
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 12

i have a feeling that the closest (if you need it bigger)would be the series 3 pump...you can get it in the polysulfone material like the 809's (Its the 3B pump) that has a bolt circle of 3.375" and the part that would fit inside the magnet on the motor is 1.315"

-Walter

Old 04-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I have two Iwaki pumps (40RLT i believe); even though the housing will handle boiling temps the impeller will not. it has a molded in "bearing" of sorts and will melt. Ask me how I know I use one on my keg washer the other is an impeller less paperweight.

Quick Reply