Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > ISO 30+Qt kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 02:22 AM   #1
Staem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default ISO 30+Qt kettle

I'm looking to get started brewing. Anyone know a store chain where I can get a 30qt kettle from? I tried K-Mart, Walmart, Target & Sears but only got chuckles from the staff when I told them what size I was looking for. I'm eager to get started and the closest homebrew store is quite a drive. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
Thirstyone
Recipes 

Find a restaurant supply store, and be sure to get stainless! Or you can pm me to get a real brew kettle

Old 10-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Go to walmart and look for the turkey fryers. I found them in the covered outside area where they keep the garden tools. I was fully ready to buy their $37 fryer kit with the propane burner, stand, and 30qt aluminum pot but I just happened to spot a replacement 30qt pot in stainless for $30.

Seriously though, that 30qt aluminum kit is a steal at only $37.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
Teedocious
Recipes 

I wouldn't have any trepidations of going aluminum. Lots and lots of people use aluminum to make great beer.

I think you should go bigger than 30qts though. I've got a 30qt turkey fryer, and it is barely big enough for full boils. And I mean BARELY. You'll have to watch the boils like a hawk for boil overs and you won't ever really be able to get a full volume brew to a vigorous boil.

You're gonna start with 28qts for a boil in order to leave 5.25-5.5 in the kettle after evaporation - that leaves precious little space in that kettle. If I had it to do again I'd go 35+ qts.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I don't know if my particular 30qt pot is really bigger or not, but I can boil 6.5 gallons no problem. 6.5 gallons fills to the top of the handle rivets on mine, which leaves about an inch and a half headspace. I've done two batches with no boilovers. Anyway, the box said 30qt. Maybe it has to do with whether the pot is tall and skinny or short and wide. A turkey fryer pot is tall, which means the spare 1 gallon is also taller. A short/wide pot would probably only have an inch or less headspace.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-17-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
Staem
Recipes 

Thanks for all the feedback. I went out to a restaurant supplier & got a 24qt today. The next size up they have is the 40qt. I'm probably going to head back & swap mine out for the bigger size. The last thing I want to do is clean up boil-over. It will also be nice to have if I make bigger batches in the future.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:34 PM   #7
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirstyone
Find a restaurant supply store, and be sure to get stainless! Or you can pm me to get a real brew kettle
The problem with restraunt supply stores is that they won't sell to the public. You'll need a business license to purchase anything from them. You could try and persuade a legitimate customer to buy it for you, I guess.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:18 AM   #8
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staem
I'm looking to get started brewing. Anyone know a store chain where I can get a 30qt kettle from? I tried K-Mart, Walmart, Target & Sears but only got chuckles from the staff when I told them what size I was looking for. I'm eager to get started and the closest homebrew store is quite a drive. Any advice would be appreciated.
What are you going to start with.... extract? AG? Kitchen stove? Outside with a propane burner?

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 10-18-2006, 12:58 AM   #9
Staem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob
What are you going to start with.... extract? AG? Kitchen stove? Outside with a propane burner?
I'm starting with extract on my kitchen stove & leave it to the new guy not to know what AG is (all grain?). I picked up all the rest of the stuff tonight then decided to wait till tomorrow to brew so I can watch the Flyers but it turns out they're getting spanked by Buffalo, badly.

Before I get off topic on how bad the Fly Boys are stinking it up, the guy that runs the store I went to for my supplies said my 24qt was plenty big for a 2.5-3gal boil so I think I'm sticking with the original pot I bought.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:32 AM   #10
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staem
I'm starting with extract on my kitchen stove & leave it to the new guy not to know what AG is (all grain?). I picked up all the rest of the stuff tonight then decided to wait till tomorrow to brew so I can watch the Flyers but it turns out they're getting spanked by Buffalo, badly.

Before I get off topic on how bad the Fly Boys are stinking it up, the guy that runs the store I went to for my supplies said my 24qt was plenty big for a 2.5-3gal boil so I think I'm sticking with the original pot I bought.
Yeah thats why I asked the question. He is right. Just go to Walmart and pick up the biggest one there. They got a nice big one for about 17 bucks and another one that is much heavier for like... 40 (glass lid, but you wont be using the lid anyways). If I had the option when I started out I'd get the heavier one. The lighter one is much easier to scortch, but I have used the weight without problems since I started (but I stir a lot).

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Quick Reply