Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Iodophor lasting power

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
dutchboy62
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Iodophor lasting power

If i make up a 3 gal bucket of iodophor solution and keep it covered how long will it keep its sanitizing properties? Will I be able to use it till its gone, say maybe a few months?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Its usually only good for a week tops, Star san is good for longer 30 days or more.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 02-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Iodophor is only good for around 12 hours. That's why I use Star-San

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 02-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2811 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Ive read a lot of the info, and I go with Rick....If you use distilled water, and if you close it up to air (like with a bucket lid) you can keep it viable for about a week.

(In a squirt bottle with distilled water, it lasts for months)

You go by color to asses viability....another thing to do when it fades is to "spike" it with a little more iodophor to bring it back to straw color.....

If I don't seal up a bucket, and use tap water, I only get about 24 hours of usage before it fades....

But since I use bulk iodine teet anesceptic that I buy frm TSC for 14 bucks a gallon, I can afford to be a little wasteful with it...especially since I often alternate sanitization with starsan to keep ahead of any house germs I may develop...

There's a lot of great tips and info about sanitizing with iodophor or starsan (a lot of it that I dug up and posted early last year) in here.... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sani...tizer+question

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
WDC
Recipes 

There's a chemist on here somewhere who can tell us why but Iodophor doesn't last once mixed up the way the acid-based sanitzers can.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/what...rs-used-43688/

Edit: See above

Reason: Beaten to it

Old 02-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

If the Color fades it is no good anymore, However I have had luck letting it sit for 4 1/2 days. However If the OP is leaving for a couple of monthes I doubt any sanitizer Will last.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 02-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
dutchboy62
Recipes 

Thanks guys

Old 02-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICLARK View Post
If the Color fades it is no good anymore, However I have had luck letting it sit for 4 1/2 days. However If the OP is leaving for a couple of monthes I doubt any sanitizer Will last.
+1 to this!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
jds

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Dutchboy:

Why do you need to mix up so much at once? I rarely make more than a gallon at a time, and that's for brewdays and sanitizing multiple kegs. A squirt bottle lets me mix iodophot a liter at a time, and keeps my usage way down.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds View Post
Dutchboy:

Why do you need to mix up so much at once? I rarely make more than a gallon at a time, and that's for brewdays and sanitizing multiple kegs. A squirt bottle lets me mix iodophot a liter at a time, and keeps my usage way down.
That's true...even to sanitize a 5 gallon pale or carboy you can swish and swirl a gallon (or however many liters that would be.

A squirt bottle is a beautiful thing...and for tools you can also use a wallpaper tray.

Quick Reply