Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Iodophor concentration?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Beavdowg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Iodophor concentration?

How much iodophore are you guys using to sanitize your equipment? I just tasted my first batch after a 12 yr layoff and it has a kind of mild cleaner aroma to it. I used Oxyclean(nonscented) to clean out the keg and iodophore for all my sanitization. I was using about 2 capfuls for 2.5 gal of water. I'm worried that I either didn't get a good rinse of oxyclean out of the keg or my iodophore solutions were too strong. I didn't let any of the equipment dry out after iodophore either. I was told that you could basically just shake it off and go ahead and use it. As I was talking to my wife after she tasted it I realized that it kind of had a honey characteristic to it too. Now, this may be good as it was a honey pale ale. I used 3 lbs. of honey for the 5 gal batch at boil. It's almost too sweet too. Some of it could of also been that I got impatient and tasted it out of the keg after only about 12 hours of being hooked up to the CO2. It had a nice head but it was still really flat. I'm hoping that once it gets nicely carbonated it'll cut some of the sweetness in the flavor. But I am really concerned about the cleaner type aroma. The only word my wife could come up with was that it smelled kind of like chlorine. I never used any bleach so it can't be that. She was trying so hard not to dissapoint me. After she tasted it she said, "Well, I don't love it."

thanks for comments/suggestions/ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6125 Times on 5337 Posts
Likes Given: 737

I'm hesitant to give you direction since there are a few manufacturers of the stuff. Read the label and use that amount.

For the stuff I have, I believe it's 1/2 capful for 2.5 gallons of cool water (or 1 capful for 5 gallons).

the stuff is pretty nasty in its full concentration, and I believe most homebrewers WAY over concentrate their solution - read the label and see how nasty the stuff is.

This is another example of the American way not being better (i.e. if 1/2 capful is good - 4 capfuls must be GREAT!)

Old 07-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
2bluewagons
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My bottle of BTF Iodophor lists directions for two different strengths: 12.5 ppm and 25 ppm. What I remember from some podcast interviewing the manufacturer, 25 ppm is a STERILIZING strength that MUST be rinsed afterwards and hence not what homebrewers are looking for.

12.5 ppm is a no-rinse SANITIZING strength that is suitable for our use. I believe that this is one capful for every 2.5 gallons, but that's why it's one the bottle. I have to read it every time I use it.

I also recently had off-flavors that seem cleaner or medicinal that I'm thinking was either sanitizier buring bottling, or a chloramine in the water problem.

Good luck on next batch, hope you get rid of the bad.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My bottle says 1tsp per 1.5 gallons of cool water for home brew cleaning. Twice that for hard sanitizing but must be rinsed. I just use the 1tsp amount.

shat happens

Old 07-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Beavdowg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluewagons View Post
My bottle of BTF Iodophor lists directions for two different strengths: 12.5 ppm and 25 ppm. What I remember from some podcast interviewing the manufacturer, 25 ppm is a STERILIZING strength that MUST be rinsed afterwards and hence not what homebrewers are looking for.

12.5 ppm is a no-rinse SANITIZING strength that is suitable for our use. I believe that this is one capful for every 2.5 gallons, but that's why it's one the bottle. I have to read it every time I use it.

I also recently had off-flavors that seem cleaner or medicinal that I'm thinking was either sanitizier buring bottling, or a chloramine in the water problem.

Good luck on next batch, hope you get rid of the bad.
2blue, that 's the stuff I have, BTF Iodophore. In my recollection it was 1 capful for 2.5 gals too. But the other poster said 1/2 capful for 2.5 gals. I've heard some people say 1 tablespoon per 5 gals. You know, I rinsed out the oxyclean with cold water, not hot. I wonder if that couldn't of made a difference? I tried to rinse it real thoroughly though, I think I rinsed it twice.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6125 Times on 5337 Posts
Likes Given: 737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavdowg View Post
2blue, that 's the stuff I have, BTF Iodophore. In my recollection it was 1 capful for 2.5 gals too. But the other poster said 1/2 capful for 2.5 gals. I've heard some people say 1 tablespoon per 5 gals. You know, I rinsed out the oxyclean with cold water, not hot. I wonder if that couldn't of made a difference? I tried to rinse it real thoroughly though, I think I rinsed it twice.
I'm pretty sure it says 1/2 oz per 5 gallons, and a 1/2 capful is a 1/4 oz (meaning 1/2 capful for 2.5 gallons, 1 capful for 5 gallons).

but heck, either way - read the label! Not only that, the EPA or FDA could swoop down and arrest you if you use it not according to label.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
twigboy2000
Recipes 

What water did you use for the brew?

I had an experience with unfiltered tap water once where the trace amounts of chlorine reacted with the yeast to yield a chlorophenol off flavor. It tasted like ambesol. I've filtered every drop since.

-chuckwheat

Old 07-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
Beavdowg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I'm in a Portland, Oregon suburb so the water here is pretty good. I've only brewed in Oregon and never had a problem with the water before.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:25 AM   #9
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've read a tremendous number of threads about Iodophor the last couple of days. I posted about it, but here's the link
:
IODOPHOR

Beavdowg, I think if you read the link in the above thread, it will be helpful.
Luck - Dwain

Old 07-17-2009, 04:28 AM   #10
Beavdowg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dwain,

Thank you for that article, it was very helpful as you had predicted!

Just for clarification, as the above linked article stated, 1 capful of BTF iodophore contains 1/4th oz. 12.5ppm is effective as a sanitizer for brewing so 2 capfuls of BTF iodophore in 5 gals of water is the recommendation for sanitization.

Back to my beer. I tasted it again today after work and now that it's much more carbonated it tastes way better. It still has a sweet smell to it but I am thinking that it is because I doubled the amount of honey recommended in the original recipe. I used 3 lbs. instead of 1.5 lbs. Also, I think it may be a tad underhopped. As I think back, and I'm no brewmaster, but I'm surmising that doubling the amount of honey would call for some additional amount of hops. Maybe even dry-hopping it would make it nicer. It's definitely drinkable, just not an award winner. Even my wife said she couldn't detect as much of that "cleaner" or "chlorine" smell as she could before and she thought it tasted better too. Who like flat beer anyways!

Next batch....my first all-grain. Still deciding what to brew.

thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I love this website!

Quick Reply