Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Iodine contributing to off-taste?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
boswell3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Iodine contributing to off-taste?

Has anyone out there ever had a problem with Iodophor lending an iodine taste to a batch?

My first extract kit bottled was a dunkel. It was brewed with no specialty grains; an all-extract beer in every sense of the word. The guys at the local brew shop suggested the off-taste could be due to a lack of specialty grain additions in the recipe. Upon sampling the finished product, my wife and I both noted that the beer tasted "watery." My father, (a brewer with far more experience than I) tasted it, and after awhile said it reminded him of the taste of iodine. That's when I remembered making the iodophor solution for the first time, spraying down my bottling bucket, and siphoning in the dunkel.

Instructions on sanitizer did not instruct to rinse the solution, so I didn't. Has anyone ever had an experience such as this? I guess I'm asking if the iodophor is the culprit. Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

How strong did you mix the Iodine with water?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
boswell3000
Recipes 

I followed the directions on the 4oz. bottle: "For Home brewers: 1tsp. with 1.5 gallons of water."

Old 02-17-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

At proper dillution iodine sanitizers should not affect the taste of the beer, that's why they are considered no rinse.

I would go with the brewshop and thing lack of complexity due to no specialty grains. Or not fully carbed and conditioned...NOT your sanitizer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'd look at the yeast used first? A dunkel isn't going to use much for Specialty Grains, maybe 5oz or so of a dark roast grain for five gallons. The rest would probably be a Munich Extract. Most of its flavor is from the Munich.

What exactly did the kit contain for both the extract and the yeast?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
bmantzey
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Did you use clean, filtered water? Did you filter it yourself or buy it from a water retailer like Deep Rock or whatever?

If you haven't changed the filter in your water filtration system or if you're using tap water, you could be tasting sediment from your commercial water supply. Even if you think your water is just fine to drink from the tap, when it comes to making beer, it does make a difference.

Is it possible that that could be contributing to the weird flavor?

Old 03-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
boswell3000
Recipes 

A valid point. I've already decided to experiment with using some bottled spring water for my next batch. Any brand suggestions? Thus far, the research I've done puts Deer Park a the top of my list.

Quick Reply