The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > insulating kettle mash tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
HItransplant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default insulating kettle mash tun

Id like to make some insulation for my kettle mash tun.

What I want is something that can be removed as my tun is also my kettle.

I was thinking of stitching 2 strips of blanket together with a layer of something in between.

my question..

what to put in between?

also, does anyone have experience doing something like this?

oh yeah.. once my water is at strike temp, I dont add heat, so it doesnt have to be flame proof... hence the blanket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
jevanden
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use an old winter coat. It has a zipper and snaps so I can snap it up to allow the valve to stick out the front. I thought about cutting off the sleaves and sewing them up but I dont think the extra work would be worth it.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanden View Post
I use an old winter coat. It has a zipper and snaps so I can snap it up to allow the valve to stick out the front. I thought about cutting off the sleaves and sewing them up but I dont think the extra work would be worth it.
sounds good.. what material is it made of?

hows the temp control?

thanks for replying
Quote:

Old 04-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I made a jacket for my MT out of the foil bubble wrap type insulation. I cut slots for the kettle handles and notched the front for the drain port. The jacket simply wraps around the MT and it's held firmly in place with some velcro strips. It worked but was not flame proof and I direct fire my MT. The bottom few inches of the jacket got damaged from the heat and I don't think it had much insulating value after that. I'm currently making a new jacket out of a fire proof welding blanket. This is an expensive way to go, but I think it will work well. Check out this video:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2391_200332391

The blanket I ordered arrived today. I should have it made into a MT jacket in a day or two and maybe try it out this weekend.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
jevanden
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is an old Eddie Bauer down filled coat. It works well and the temp only drops a degree or two in 90 min. The best thing is that if it gets sticky I can just throw it in the wash.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:52 AM   #6
jevanden
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm an electric brewer so I dont have to worry about flame.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use bubble-wrap insulation I got at Lowes (it comes in rolls, and its basically plastic bubbles (like the kind we used to enjoy popping, that they wrap things in for shipping) and its coated on both sides with aluminum foil. I cut slots in mine for the handles and plumbing (the bottom is also insulated, only my lid is not, and I lay a towel on top of that (usually). MINE is permanently secured but you could do like cat did (as long as you plan to take it off since it will not do well against flame).
Mine looses about a couple degrees over half an hour, but thats also probably because of my rig -I rarely let the mash just 'sit' since mine is designed to recirculate continuously either through the heat exchanger in the HLT or bypassing it, so it would be a bit leaky heat-wise.

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
LAGERING/CONDITIONING:Simply Sweet Mead
Kegged: Big Bad Brown Ale (Brown Ale and Porter blend).
Bottled:

Plans: Oak-Smoked Porter, Honey Brown Ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

Old 04-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by HItransplant View Post

oh yeah.. once my water is at strike temp, I dont add heat, so it doesnt have to be flame proof... hence the blanket.

Sideline question: if you aren't adding heating during the mash, why have a kettle MT in the first place? Coolers are much better insulated and would work better in this situation.

Besides, if you got a cooler, then you could convert your Kettle MT to a HLT and set up a 3-tier brewstand (I'm assuming you have an separate boil kettle).

Old 04-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I made a jacket for my MT out of the foil bubble wrap type insulation. I cut slots for the kettle handles and notched the front for the drain port. The jacket simply wraps around the MT and it's held firmly in place with some velcro strips. It worked but was not flame proof and I direct fire my MT. The bottom few inches of the jacket got damaged from the heat and I don't think it had much insulating value after that. I'm currently making a new jacket out of a fire proof welding blanket. This is an expensive way to go, but I think it will work well. Check out this video:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2391_200332391

The blanket I ordered arrived today. I should have it made into a MT jacket in a day or two and maybe try it out this weekend.
Id love to hear how it went if you have a moment to post up another reply once youve built and tested it... thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Sideline question: if you aren't adding heating during the mash, why have a kettle MT in the first place? Coolers are much better insulated and would work better in this situation.

Besides, if you got a cooler, then you could convert your Kettle MT to a HLT and set up a 3-tier brewstand (I'm assuming you have an separate boil kettle).

I only have one 10 gallon kettle, which Id like to use for both the MLT and the boil kettle (dont have space or money to buy more at this point....someday hopefully I can). Im trying to keep everything stainless, which is why i havent gone the cooler route at this point (plastic makes me nervous...).
Quote:

Old 04-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wool blanket