The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Insulated Keggle MLT Users _ Advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 02:26 AM   #1
BarnabyHooge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Insulated Keggle MLT Users _ Advice needed

I recently acquired three pretty beat up sanke kegs and was hoping to put one to use as a kettle and one as an MLT. After reading what seems like hundreds of threads I'm still not totally sold on the insulated keggle as a MLT. I'm not interested in direct firing it at this point and would like to keep things on the cheap side, although I don't want to pigeon hole myself should I want to do a HERMS/RIMS set up in the future.

Here are my questions

1: What insulation do you use? Do you cover side, top and bottom?

2: What sort of temp drop do you experience in say, 20 degree weather and 70 degree weather?

3: Is a false bottom necessary? It seems like the way to go, but it's a little spendy for me at this point.

I guess I'm thinking if I'm going to drop the cash on a FB, I should make sure a cooler and braid wouldn't suit me better in the long run. I've got a 5 gallon igloo (had it around) now but it's just not going to work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 02:44 AM   #2
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

If you are not direct firing then you might want to go woth a cooler as they will be much better insulated than an insulated Keggle. Unless you are uber insulatiung the whole thing, but then that will cost more than a cooler.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 04-21-2009, 04:03 AM   #3
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Batch size plays a role here, if you fill that keggle w/ hot mash the insulation becomes less critical. But for smaller batches you will most likely lose heat a bit quicker. For 5 gal. batches, go cooler.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

I do 10g batches and even insulated lose a lot of heat. I direct fire and use the alum bubble wrap stuff.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 04-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
BarnabyHooge
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Batch size plays a role here, if you fill that keggle w/ hot mash the insulation becomes less critical. But for smaller batches you will most likely lose heat a bit quicker. For 5 gal. batches, go cooler.
Ah yes, forgot about that. I also have a 5 gallon bev cooler around for small batches so I should be doing mostly 10 Gallons in the keg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Evil Concoctions View Post
If you are not direct firing then you might want to go woth a cooler as they will be much better insulated than an insulated Keggle. Unless you are uber insulatiung the whole thing, but then that will cost more than a cooler.
I've read that some people lose too much heat, but I've also seen folks say a little insulation and a blanket go a long way. How many layers of the wrap do you use? Do you have an insulated lid? How many degrees to you lose over what period of time?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
BarnabyHooge
Recipes 

Case in point, I just read a few threads at NB that said a sleeping bag pad wrapped around it after heating the initial strike water would lose only a couple degrees over an hour... all of the opinions on this are making my head spin.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

In the summer time when ambient temps in my garage reach 95F after heating my strike water, 2 layers of reflectix (added AFTER the flame is turned off) holds temps really well. Keep in mind that I heat my strike directly in the MLT and overshoot by 2F so the vessel and insulation pulls no heat. I think I lost 3F in a 6 gallon batch and 2F in a 12.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
In the summer time when ambient temps in my garage reach 95F after heating my strike water, 2 layers of reflectix (added AFTER the flame is turned off) holds temps really well. Keep in mind that I heat my strike directly in the MLT and overshoot by 2F so the vessel and insulation pulls no heat. I think I lost 3F in a 6 gallon batch and 2F in a 12.
How long a period of time for those heat losses?

Burkey Street Brewery

Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

60 minute mashes are the norm for me. I wrap the doubled up reflectix around the sides and I have one layer that fits on top of the keg that fits into the handle skirt. My lid goes on top of this.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
BarnabyHooge
Recipes 

I'm thinking that since most of the action happens in the first 30 minutes or so this should suffice. I'd really like to be able to utilize this method until I have the "need' and funds to upgrade to a HERMS/RIMS set up.

Quick Reply