Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Installing a Thermostat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
bluedragoon85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Installing a Thermostat

Hi,

I just received a Johnson Controls analog thermostat that I had recently purchased. I am thinking about getting it installed today but I had a few questions. Do you really have to mount it or having hanging it from a vertical surface(wall) as indicated on the instructions manual? Cant I just place it on a flat horizontal surface like the top of the fridge or a table? Also, I have a Sanyo 4912 fridge and I plan on placing the thermostat probe into a jar with water. Is this a good idea? I hear this way I wont overwork the compressor, as the temp may drastically change each time I open the fridge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
bluedragoon85
Recipes 

Anyone have any sugestions? or comments?

Old 08-31-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do the instructions actually indicate that it's position sensitive? I'm having a hard time understanding why it would matter if the control box was situated one way or another.

I have a new Ranco controller, and while it instructs me to mount it on a wall or flat surface, it does say that is ISN'T position sensitive, and should merely be mounted so that the controls are accessible. Not sure why the JC controller would need to be mounted a specific way.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 08-31-2008, 11:23 PM   #4
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

most new thermostats should not be position sensitive but any of them with a mercury switch on a bimetalic spring (should only be present in older models) will only work accurately if perfectly level.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
bluedragoon85
Recipes 

Quote:
Do the instructions actually indicate that it's position sensitive? I'm having a hard time understanding why it would matter if the control box was situated one way or another.
My thermostat model is the A19AAT (bought it from Northern Brewer).

This is what the instructions say:

"Mount the thermostat to a flat, vertical surface through the mounting holes in back of the case or hang the thermostat from a sturdy support using the beaded-chain hanger assembly"

Under importat it says:

"Mounting an A19AAT type thermostat on a rough or uneven surface may warp the control case and cause the thermostat to operate out of the intended temperature range. When mounting to rough or uneven surfaces, use only the top two mounting holes at the back of th thermostat. To avoid warping the thermostat case, do not over tighten the mounting screws"

Old 04-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #6
echotraveler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Resurrecting a very old thread!

I want to ask something about this thermostat. How do you guys install the thermometer? specifically how to run it. from the internal mechanism into the chamber? or outside of the fridge, thru the door rubber into the chamber? thats all i want to find...and all the searches end up in pecker talk! lol

Old 04-26-2010, 02:37 AM   #7
bbbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The A19 is an electronic thermostat. Gravity isn't going to play a role. The instructions must indicate the vertical position because of the mounting holes and to read the display.

As far as the water goes, I've had the tip of the thermocouple in a bottle with a stopper in it for 4 months now. Checked it the other day and no corrosion. I think this could be come a problem if your water reacted with the thermocouple eventually (lag though the corrosion). Someone proposed using the material in freezer packs to eliminated the H20 issue. That bottle has been filled with that material from spare packs laying around. When I get around to it, I'll just move it over (have to empty a couple of kegs first). Yum.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
echotraveler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbrew View Post
The A19 is an electronic thermostat. Gravity isn't going to play a role. The instructions must indicate the vertical position because of the mounting holes and to read the display.

As far as the water goes, I've had the tip of the thermocouple in a bottle with a stopper in it for 4 months now. Checked it the other day and no corrosion. I think this could be come a problem if your water reacted with the thermocouple eventually (lag though the corrosion). Someone proposed using the material in freezer packs to eliminated the H20 issue. That bottle has been filled with that material from spare packs laying around. When I get around to it, I'll just move it over (have to empty a couple of kegs first). Yum.
this thread is from 2008, i asked a question regarding installation, didn't want to create another thread...the search found more than a 100...can you help me, im on the post before yours

Old 04-30-2010, 02:07 AM   #9
bbbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

echotraveler,
Folks do it different ways depending on a few things. If you want to mount the thermistat on the front, the door doesn't have any coils in it so just drill a hole large enough to fish though the thermocouple. If you are going to install the display device on the side then with a small pilot drill and some luck cut into the side and hope not to hit one of the coils. To improve your chances, turn the unit on high and try to identify where the coil might be by touch or sound. I've see a couple of guys make a paste and place it on the unit to dry and then turn up to high. This way they can see the witness of the coils. This will work much better on the top but the sides might not be as successful. Hope this helps. Make sure you seal where the wire comes though on the inside with some caulk, to avoid moisture issues. BTW, it was late when I read your post the first time (early am that is). Good luck. BB

Last edited by bbbrew; 04-30-2010 at 02:10 AM.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Resurrection...

I have the same question for getting the probe into the keezer. Going through the top near a corner or in through the door seems to be logical low risk way to get it in the fridge.

Thinking of drilling a hole, very carefully just to pierce the sheet metal then, stop drilling, poke around to see if there is something blocking access. Like a coil!!

What have you guys done? Looking for ideas...

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Quick Reply